The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Few nice fight bookings for March here. Source is MMAJunkie. 

The rumoured Demian Maia vs Gilbert Burns fight has been confirmed to be in the works for the Brasilia card.  

Calvin Kattar vs Jeremy Stephens is on for UFC 248, which is the Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk PPV. 

And Mike Grundy vs Makwan Amirkhani has been added to the London show. 

I like the sound of all of them. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Seems Ryan Hall is having trouble getting anyone to agree to fight him again. 

F5600890-E2-D9-453-A-BBB4-4-F8-E0-C1-D72

He put pictures up of Aldo and Edgar so he’s after big names. 

I feel bad for the guy. It’s a shame he can’t get any fights booked. On the other hand, I’m not surprised nobody fancies fighting him. He’s a lot of risk and little reward. You’re unlikely to look good win or lose against him either. And if you lose, chances are your knee is getting ripped to shreds as well. I admire him calling out the legends but there’s no chance an Aldo or Edgar take that fight at this stage of their careers. 

• Paid Members

I have a little trouble understanding how that happens. Surely in every fight that happens, someone is taking a risk? How does anyone ever get up from the prelims if all the bigger names are allowed to turn down every fighter who steps up? 

I'm guessing that the only other route is for Hall to fight lower rankers until his numbers are undeniable, but at 34, I can understand why he wouldn't take the long route round. Even then it's still weird - he's got Gray Maynard and Darren Elkins on his record, so whilst it's not stellar, it's hardly a load of cans. I wonder if having the shadow of BJ Penn on there hurts his prospects a little?

His main problem is that he's not at all marketable in the eyes of the UFC. If he was a younger dude with a better look and a more attractive fighting style they'd be leaning on guys to take the fight.

As it is, they're probably not all that fussed.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Ross18 said:

Not sure where to put this. 

But no one else wanna put any nominations forward for the UKFF MMA awards?

Locks tomorrow and only 4 of us have put anything forward so far. Would be interested in other peoples thoughts on last year.

I've extended the deadline a bit to allow any extra noms through. 

• Paid Members

I mentioned this before his last fight with Tim Means in whatever thread that event was. I don’t think it was a straight up release. The Means fight was the last one on his contract and he wanted to test the market as a free agent. The gamble didn’t really go to plan because Means subbed him in a round but there’s obviously still interest out there. 

I want to see Alves vs Daley in Bellator myself. 

Personally, I don't want to see Alves sign with Bellator. As I wrote in the Bellator thread, the promotion has a few too many has-beens on its roster for my liking. I'd much rather Bellator showcase its under-promoted younger talent. 

There is a place for some established names on Bellator's cards. But I would much rather the likes of the Fortune Bros, Logan Storley. Joey Davis, and Tokov, get main card slots and promotional pushes than Alves, who is 2-5 in his last 7 fights. 

Daley vs Alves would have been a hell of a fight 10 years ago though. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

This is a heck of a fight that's just been made. Kevin Lee Vs Charles Oliveira, in a five rounder. A win for Lee continues a really strong comeback for him, following that incredible finish over Gillespie. If he stops a streaking Oliveira here, then he's really back on course.

Oliveira meanwhile could really make that step up to the upper echelons of the division by beating Lee. It could be the known commodity win that he needs in order to make that leap, if he has it in him.

Looking forward to this one. Hopefully Lee doesn't come in with staph infection all over his chest again. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/14/21065576/kevin-lee-charles-oliveira-ufc-brasilia-mma