The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

the Combat Sports run-in for the end of the year is pretty intense?

Dec 19th: JD NxtGen (Boxing)

Dec 20th: Bellator Salute the Troops

Dec 20th: Jacobs vs. Chavez Jr. (Boxing)

Dec 21st: Dubois vs. Fujimoto (Boxing)

Dec 21st: UFC Busan

Dec 21st: Bellator 236

Dec 21st: Harrison vs. Charlo 2 (Boxing)

Dec 21st: Glory Collision (Kickboxing)

Dec 28th: Bellator 237

Dec 28th: Davis vs. Gamboa (Boxing)

Dec 31st: Rizin 20

Dec 31st: PFL Championship

mental

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/henry-cejudo-stripped-flyweight-title-joseph-benavidez-deivseon-figuerido-targeted-ufc-norfolk/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Cejudo is getting stripped a title. I guess he did save the division afterall because they are moving in without him.

edit* fight announcements coming thick and fast:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, Whittaker vs Cannonier is a great fight. That 248 card is looking good already with this fight and Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk for the title. I’ve read rumours that Adesanya vs Romero might land on that one as well. That would make sense to have Adesanya/Romero and Whittaker/Cannonier on the same card just incase someone drops out and they need a back up. 

Also, by process of elimination I think this booking all but confirms that we’ll be seeing Darren Till vs Jack Hermansson as the London headliner. 

• Paid Members

Reading in a few places that Kevin Lee vs Islam Makhachev is in the works for UFC 249 in April. That’ll be the Khabib vs Ferguson undercard. Great fight. Lee has already signed apparently, just waiting on Makhachev and it’s a done deal. He’s saying he’s not been offered the fight yet though. 

• Paid Members

Apparently, Gilbert Burns has been offered the co-main event spot against Demian Maia on the Brasilia Fight Night in March. That’s according to a Canadian MMA writer on Twitter anyway. Nothing concrete yet but that’s the plan it seems. 

I love that fight if it comes off. These are the only kind of matchups I want to see Maia in at this point. These elite grappler vs elite grappler battles. Of course sometimes it’ll result in dull stalemates like Maia vs Jake Shields. But they’re still interesting to see and I loved the Ben Askren fight. Makes sense for Burns as well. He’s won his last 4 in a row and stepped in on short notice in his last couple of fights and won against tough opposition in Gunnar Nelson and Alexey Kunchenko. It’s only right that the UFC reward him with a fight against a top name. Love this fight. Hopefully it happens. 

Edit - Nicolas Dalby vs Danny Roberts added to UFC London now according to MMA Junkie. Great fights coming in thick and fast. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

MMA Junkie are reporting that Tyron Woodley vs Leon Edwards has been verbally agreed to on both sides to headline the London card in March. 

It’s been in the pipeline for a while, that one. I like it. If Woodley wins he’s right back on track, if Edwards wins he’ll be pretty much undeniable for a crack at the title.