The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I read or watched an interview with Cormier the other day saying it’s looking like it’ll be around June time for the Stipe rubber match. 

When you think we’ve got McGregor vs Cerrone in January, Jones vs Reyes in March, Khabib vs Ferguson in April already. The first quarter of 2020 is filling up quick. 

Honestly there is something weird about this connor comeback fight. The UFC arent making half the song and dance you would expect them to be doing for the comeback fight for conor McGregor one of the biggest ufc stars of all time. 

We are just over 4 weeks until the show and it just seems so weird that the UFC arent doing much at all to really push this as the big deal it is with this amount of time to go 

Edited by Kfogg1991
Spelling mistakes

• Paid Members

To the surprise of nobody, UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone will be on BT Sport Box Office. 

42-D69-C1-C-0-F5-B-4947-9-D8-D-F2235-A72

To be expected. I think every time McGregor fights from here on out it’ll be on Box Office. The way the card is looking at the moment, they’re relying pretty much solely on Conor McGregor’s name as well. Undercard isn’t much to get excited about. 

Conor McGregor vs Donald Cerrone 

Anthony Pettis vs Carlos Diego Ferreira 

Holly Holm vs Raquel Pennington 

Sodiq Yusuff vs Andre Fili 

Claudia Gadelha vs Alexa Grasso 

Roxanne Modafferi vs Maycee Barber 

Nasrat Haqparast vs Drew Dober

Chas Skelly vs Grant Dawson 

Alexey Oleynik vs Maurice Greene 

Tim Elliott vs Askar Askarov 

Brian Kelleher vs Ode Osbourne 

Sabina Mazo vs JJ Aldrich 

Some decent fights but it’s not the strongest of lineups. Take the main event off and that’s any mediocre Fight Night on ESPN 2. I mean, I like the Pettis vs Ferreira fight but PPV co-main? Can’t see much being added to the card now either. It’s only about 4 weeks away. 

• Paid Members

Did you see the state of that scar? Jesus. As for the callout I'd like to see Cejudo defend or vacate the 125lb title against Joe Benavidez. 

Edited by WeeAl
Spoiler potential

Ah fuck, didn't even consider spoiler implications. Apologies if I ruined anything for anyone. Probably belonged in the event thread.

Yeah - he just comes off like a fucking weirdo. Nothing he's saying or doing is even vaguely compelling or interesting. It's just a mish-mash of catchphrases and personas that have been successful for other people, blended into one really unnatural hybrid. He doesn't suit it at all.

• Paid Members

I mean, at least he’s trying I guess. But his delivery is so hammy and embarrassing. That said, I really want to see someone batter him now more than ever, so I suppose it’s effective to me at least. I was mostly indifferent to him until he started this campaign of cringe. 

• Paid Members

Dan Hardy is talking about fighting Anthony Pettis. Here he is discussing it with Paul Felder at the start of this video;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ny0cOtnWaEU

Obviously, Pettis has this fight with Ferreira coming up at UFC 246 but I’d watch the shit out of Pettis vs Hardy after that. Not holding my breath or anything. Hardy has been talking about a comeback for years now and nothing happens. But there seems to be a little bit more to it this time. Sounds like there’s at least been some dialogue back and forth between Hardy, Pettis and Duke Roufus. 

Can't see a Hardy return going well to be honest. It's easy to forget that he's 38 years old in May, and he's been away from the cage for for over seven years now. At this point he'd be as well just leaving it be, or even look at grappling tournaments if he's still got the itch.