The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I can genuinely see this ending with McGregor getting blackballed from the UFC should he be convicted. 

These days, sure. The UFC make enough money with their telly deals etc to not need Conor.

Truth is, Conor could probably promote the fight himself and take a bigger cut of what he makes. It's sad. If he is guilty, you hope he vanishes, but bloody hell Louis CK just announced a big tour the other week there.

• Paid Members

And that’s if he’s found guilty on one case. He’s got at least two accusations against him (from incidents in Dec 2018 and October this year) and apparently there were other allegations even before the December incident that were hushed up. Guess it depends how much shit they get on him in building a case against him. 

• Paid Members
On 11/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, David said:

Also, it looks like police have released images of a person of interest in the disappearance of Walt Harris daughter captured on video surveillance at the convenience store where Blanchard was last seen. The footage is believed to be of a black man in his early 20s, between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-10 and weighing approximately 200 pounds. The man was observed leaving the area in a silver or gray late 2000s model Lincoln Town Car.

Don't see this ending well to be honest.

They’ve arrested the guy today. Looks like he must’ve accidentally tripped and banged his eye during the arrest as well. 

3F6B2912-28EA-4588-A050-F330BBCB3F38.jpeg

I hope they lock him in a room with Walt Harris if he gives so much as one ‘no comment’. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

You hope so but apparently the guy was out on bond for another kidnapping and beating someone ‘near to death’ in a robbery. He’s got a history of crimes in a few different states and sounds a real nasty bastard. 

This article has a lot of info on his background; 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.montgomeryadvertiser.com/amp/2528477001

• Paid Members

I really hope that turns out to be the case. This guy’s previous plus the time she’s been missing doesn’t fill me with optimism but I hope this arrest leads to her being returned to her family safe and well. Can’t even imagine what they’re going through. As someone with a daughter it terrifies me. She turned 6 this week and it sounds silly but when I hear stories like this I wish I could just keep her at the age she is now forever. 

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Sounds like everything that could turn out for the worst. I really hope she turns out to be OK. Harris must be going through every father's nightmare right now, poor guy. 

As if that weren't bad enough, this piece of shit's got an Arabic/Muslim name. Like the MAGA lot needed any more excuses. 

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, I've missed having this place for breaking news and fight card schedules. Anyway, as far as I am aware, these have been the main happenings in recent weeks. 

- I haven't watched it, but Nick Diaz's interview with Helwani caused a bit of a stir. Diaz apparently appeared under the influence during the interview. It's been known for a while that Diaz is a partier, and that he's become quite fond of Vegas - a place that he had previously snubbed. 

- Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes is pencilled in for February in Houston. 

- Askren has officially announced his retirement from combat sports. He cited hip problems as the main reason for his retirement. His coach, Duke Roufus, claims that Askren has been struggling with his hip for a while and its hindered his training camps. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, kev2050 said:

Someone needs to bullet point me everything that's gone down over the last couple of weeks. I had no idea if there was a UFC card on this weekend because I couldn't check if there was a wandshogun thread for it. Had to resort to youtube to check! 

Few bits and bobs...

- Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes for the Light Heavyweight title was confirmed as the PPV headliner for Feb. 

- Also announced for that Feb PPV was Valentina Shevchenko vs Katlyn Chookagian for the Flyweight strap and Derrick Lewis vs Ilir Latifi. 

- It’s looking like Zhang Weili’s first Strawweight title defence will be against Joanna Jedrzejczyk. 

- Dana’s done a u-turn on Israel Adesanya vs Yoel Romero and now seems all for it. 

- The UFC is back in London on 21st March. Darren Till has called out Robert Whittaker to headline that card. Whittaker seems up for it but nothing set in stone. 

- Ben Askren officially retired. 

- Walt Harris’ daughter still hasn’t been found and now a second suspect has been arrested in connection with her disappearance. 

- Nick Diaz did a rambling interview with Helwani for almost an hour that I watched and still don’t know what the fuck he said. 

- A January card in North Carolina (WHOOO!) was announced. Junior Dos Santos vs Curtis Blaydes is headlining. Undercard will see Frankie Edgar make his debut at 135 vs Cory Sandhagen in a cracking fight. And Rafael Dos Anjos is fighting Michael Chiesa. 

- Floyd Mayweather posted something about coming out of retirement in 2020 and him and Dana have been hinting at working together on something.

- Both Diego Sanchez and Gilbert Melendez parted ways with the UFC. Josh Thomson has already talked about possibly doing a 4th fight with Melendez in Bellator. 

- Paulo Costa made a tit of himself on Twitter, calling Adesanya a “pussy African”. And Adesanya and Jon Jones have continued having digs at each other. 

- Anthony Johnson says he’s targeting a summer return at Heavyweight. 

- Conor McGregor has continued to be an embarrassment. And, surprise surprise, this January fight with Cerrone doesn’t seem like it’s happening now. At least not in January anyway. 

- Khabib is saying he thinks he’s defending the Lightweight belt against Tony Ferguson in March or April in Brooklyn. Fucking yes!

And finally...

Ross Pearson got wiped the fuck out by some dude in some little promotion via ROLLING THUNDER to the face FFS;

61C55683-0D6E-48E8-BED9-2E47B35CD969.gif

Edited by wandshogun09