The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

18 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Still, as nice as it is to see Cain happy it does suck as an MMA fan to see how his career fizzled out and ended, he should have gone gone down as the greatest.

Similar in a way to DC, both AKA guys who seem to train too hard and get injured a lot. That's something that a lot of guys seem to think that training hard is the same as training smart. Knowing your own body and when to ease off a bit is sometimes the best thing to do.

I still find it amazing how some of the top guys never really train until they have a fight booked and go into a fight camp. Then you have guys who seem to always be ready to fight will happily take fights at short notice.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Some folk are probably getting the same feelings i had when Dan Severn entered the WWE. He looked the absolute business until he took his shirt off, then it was like "oh, he looks quite normal", maybe perception of how fighters should look has changed over time, but  a cage fighter to me when i was a kid would look like Ken Shamrock. That said, if any kid has only just found out who Cain Velasquez is, it would only take one click of the mouse on youtube to see that hes a bad muthafucker.

Steve Blackman was legit as well, but he was the drizzling shits entertainment and personality wise, just like Cain. 

Cain is a tough dude, and a monster in the cage, but this is entertainment. He's got zero charisma, and he looks like the guy who beat up BJ Penn in that bar fight. How long will the fans buy into a mumbling out of shape guy who's pushing 40 before they lose interest? Unless this Saudi event is a one-off, of course, in which case it'll be fine.

• Paid Members

Duke Roufus has posted on Facebook that Anthony Pettis vs Donald Cerrone 2 is in the works and both sides have verbally agreed to it. 

B81-B0-A25-46-C5-4-E43-A243-DB1-E0-EBCEF

Why not? I was always a bit disappointed the first fight ended so quick. Was buzzing going in but Pettis just wrecked him. It’s a fun fight and the kind both men could do with coming off their recent losses. I’m well up for this. 

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, UFC 245 just got a bit more stacked. Brett Okamoto is saying Jose Aldo vs Marlon Moraes is on. That’ll be Aldo’s debut at 135. And Urijah Faber vs Petr Yan is also in the works. 

So 245 is currently looking like this...

Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington - Welterweight Title 

Max Holloway vs Alexander Volkanovski - Featherweight Title

Amanda Nunes vs Germaine De Randamie - Bantamweight Title 

Robbie Lawler vs TBA

Jose Aldo vs Marlon Moraes 

Urijah Faber vs Petr Yan 

Matt Brown vs Ben Saunders 

Jessica Eye vs Viviane Araújo 

Brandon Moreno vs Kai Kara-France

Oskar Piechota vs Punahele Soriano 

Irene Aldana vs Ketlen Vieira

• Paid Members
On 10/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, Egg Shen said:

I'm really glad to hear Randy is ok. As the article mentions, he took the heart attack while in the gym. What it didn't mention, but came out later, is that he continued his workout, just changing exercises.

Then Randy goes home for a while before walking himself to the hospital. They clear out an artery, put in a stent, and then he walked himself home once he was cleared to be released from hospital. What a man. 

• Paid Members

”Not bad for an old man.” 

Seriously, great to hear he’s OK. Saw a quote from him earlier saying “I haven’t kicked the bucket yet.” He’ll be back wanking on Skype in no time. There was a time in the mid to late 2000s where Randy would turn up to UFC shows with a different woman every 6 months or so. Always blonde and half his age. It’s a miracle his ticker never tapped out sooner really. Randy by name, Randy by nature. 

• Paid Members

Just read that Paulo Costa is injured and will be on the shelf for about 8 months. Lots of talk of Israel Adesanya defending against Yoel Romero instead. 

Got to say, as huge a fan of Yoel as I am, and as much as I’d love to see Adesanya vs Romero, him getting a title shot coming off two losses would be bollocks. Even though those two losses (to Whittaker and Costa) were razor close and many felt he won, they’re still losses officially. Surely Jared Cannonier would be next in line now Costa is out of commission for a bit? He just knocked out Jack Hermansson and is 3-0 at 185. 

Ahh, what am I saying? Fuck it. 

A6CEF40E-1801-469A-812C-DCF1C150D69C.gif

Yeah, Romero getting a title shot when he's 1-3 in his last 4 is a bit dodgy. Even weirder when you take into account his history of missing weight in Middleweight championship fights. He's in danger of becoming the Cuban Holly Holm, where every other fight sees him fighting for some kind of belt.

If it were up to me, I'd do Whittaker/Cannonier and the winner of Gastelum/Till against Romero. Adesanya's fought 3 times in 2019, I wouldn't mind him sitting out for a bit whilst Costa gets himself sorted. For me, that's the obvious #1 vs #2 fight to make whilst the rest of the division sorts itself out. They've even began building towards it with their recent interactions. At this stage, I'd pick Israel over Yoel, but it's not by much, and you've got far more fights to make with Adesanya as champion without the threat of Romero twatting his block off.