The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

I wonder who would win between Brock and Cain in a legitimate fight these days?

I've always felt that Cain at his best blitzes Brock with relative ease. However, with Cain's decline, could Brock now upset the odds and avenge his 2010 defeat? I honestly wouldn't be sure one way or another. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

The combat sports schedule this weekend is absolutely ridiculous.

PFL, UFC, Cage Warriors, Bellator, One, Rizin and Glory Kickboxing all holding significant shows over the course of last night/today. Not to mention the Usyk and Josh Warrington boxing shows...and people talk about wrestling becoming oversaturated, sheeeeit.

• Paid Members

Ponzinibbio is out of the Lawler fight at UFC 245 with staph infection according to Mike Bohn of MMA Junkie. Gutted. Doesn’t damage the card much, there’s still the 3 title fights, but that was probably the FOTN right there.

Hopefully Lawler stays on the card. The show is on 14th December so they’ve got some time to find a decent replacement. Suppose it’s unrealistic to expect Mike Perry’s nose to be intact again by then? 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:30 PM, jimufctna24 said:

Cain has officially retired from MMA. He's removed himself from USADA's testing pool.

Let's hope he takes advantage of that removal from the testing pool, because he looked like shit on Smackdown a few weeks back.

• Paid Members

I fear for both men's brains if this fight gets made:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/10/doo-ho-choi-wants-cub-swanson-rematch-ufc-busan

If it isn't Choi Vs Swanson, I hope Choi is still able to get a fight on the card. I wasn't aware he would be able to fight, just so long as he doesn't leave the country. It makes sense for him, and the UFC, to try and keep him active since they have a show on South Korean soil, rather than wait until his military service is completed. 

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27807201/the-top-25-mma-fighters-25

AJ McKee heads ESPN's top fighters under 25 list. Gallagher barely makes the top 10.

I'm very excited about McKee. Provided he beats Campos in December, which he almost certainly will, it's probable that he will face either Caldwell, Pitbull or Borlics next year in the latter stages of the FW GP. Those bouts could be where he establishes himself as a top fighter. 

Edited by jimufctna24

I know he has the #legit thing going on, but Cain really needs to sort out his look. Anyone who's unfamiliar with his UFC stuff (and even those fans who take the time to check up on it will see that his last appearance involved him getting sparked by a huge guy who looks legit) will look at him and think "who the fuck is this flabby Mexican guy?"

• Paid Members

Some folk are probably getting the same feelings i had when Dan Severn entered the WWE. He looked the absolute business until he took his shirt off, then it was like "oh, he looks quite normal", maybe perception of how fighters should look has changed over time, but  a cage fighter to me when i was a kid would look like Ken Shamrock. That said, if any kid has only just found out who Cain Velasquez is, it would only take one click of the mouse on youtube to see that hes a bad muthafucker.

Still, as nice as it is to see Cain happy it does suck as an MMA fan to see how his career fizzled out and ended, he should have gone gone down as the greatest.