The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

He's a dude on a half-decent run of results. I don't think it'll last though in all honesty. If he fights Askren 10 times, he loses 8 of them in my opinion.

Slinging him in there with the likes of Diaz and similar level fighters is a good call, because as much of a roll as he's on i don't think he's title material.

Apparently, something may have transpired between Covington and Miocic's wife at UFC 241:

Ā 

ā€œIā€™m not talking about that kid. Iā€™m kinda upset with that kid. He was saying stuff to my wife, after my fight. Iā€™m gonna have to talk to him about that. Iā€™m not trying to start anything here, Iā€™m just saying, a normal conversation. Iā€™m not gonna go out and take his head off. I just want to talk to him like a normal person.ā€

ā€œMy wife was walking to the cage, and I guess he was saying something to her and my manager being the man he is told him to shut his . . . He told him to shut the f*ck up,ā€ Miocic said. ā€œTo this day my manager wonā€™t tell me what he said, so Iā€™m going to find out. Iā€™m very good, Iā€™m like the FBI. I will find out what he said and Iā€™m just gonna go up to him and talk to him about it.ā€

ā€œNo, no, no. Listen, Iā€™m a normal guy,ā€ Miocic said. ā€œIā€™m just gonna go up to him and talk to him, Iā€™m not gonna take his head off. Iā€™m gonna go, ā€˜Hey man, whatā€™s your problemā€™ā€¦ā€

Ā 

Regarding the boldedĀ sentence, at least Miocic is acting like a rational human being and not partaking in this BMF stuff.Ā 

He went too far with the Hughes comments. Those comments should have landed him in hot water.Ā 

I understand to a degree why some people like Covington. UFC cards come thick and fast these days, and Covington does bring something a bit different to the table. However, while his shtick/real-life personaĀ has raised his profile in MMA circles, there is little to say that he's become any sort of draw or crossover star. In terms of the numbers, the likes of Askren and Jorge generate more interest (someone on Sherdog took the time to crunch social media numbers, etc).

Regardless of his drawing ability, he should be held to account for his actions. But we all know that isn't the world we currently live in. Thus, I get the impression that once Covington loses inside the Octagon, the UFC will be prepared to cut ties with him should he over-stepĀ the mark againĀ - I.E if he makes more tasteless commentsĀ on TV or social media. He's currently at odds with UFC management as it is (Dana has accused him of ducking Usman), and he's not that important to where the UFC have to keep him around.Ā 

Edited by jimufctna24

1 minute ago, jimufctna24 said:

He's currently at odds with UFC management as it is (Dana has accused him of ducking Usman), and he's not that important to where the UFC have to keep him around.Ā 

This is probably more detrimental to his career with the company than anything he could possibly say in public.

• Paid Members

Here you go lads.......you're welcome!

Ā 

Brendan Schaub, the US comedian, podcaster & TV personality will bring the '50 Shades Of Brown' Tour to the UK & Ireland in April 2020,

Cork Opera House, 15 April
Belfast Ulster Hall, 16
Dublin Vicar Street, 17
Glasgow O2 Academy, 18
Newcastle Tyne Theatre & Opera House, 20
Birmingham O2 Academy, 21
Manchester Academy, 23
London O2 Shepherds Bush Empire, 24
Cardiff St Davidā€™s Hall, 25

• Paid Members

Yeah, 245 looks quality. Very rare that we get 3 title fights on one card but they like to end the year with something big so it makes sense.Ā 

Shogun vs the Human Wotsit. Itā€™s a sad state of affairs when Iā€™m actually worried that Sam Bastard Alvey might beat Shogun ā˜¹ļø

Speaking of Brazilian legends, Little Nog was scheduled to be on the upcoming SĆ£o Paulo card but heā€™sĀ injured (again). Apparently heā€™s saying now that he wants to fight one more time, on the first Brazil card in 2020, and then heā€™s hanging ā€˜em up. Good call and I hope he sticks to it. He never had the career his brother did but he was a really good and underappreciated fighter. Heā€™s 43 years old and has been absolutely plagued by injuries during this UFC stint though. Heā€™s been in the UFC for 10 years now and only fought 12 times in that period. Hopefully he gets a nice win in his last fight and getsĀ his leaving the gloves on the canvas moment.Ā 

• Paid Members

UFC 244 also got extra depth today. Gregor Gillespie is booked to fight Kevin Lee on the show, with Lee dropping back to Lightweight. Two really strong wrestlers, it'll be interesting to see if one can impose their wrestling game on the other or if they end up cancelling each other out and we see who has the better stand up game. This is a good next fight for Gillespie. I think he could be good enough to make it to that top 5 area of the division, so I'm picking him to get the nod here.Ā 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/09/kevin-lee-vs-gregor-gillespie-targeted-for-ufc-244-in-new-york

• Paid Members

Thatā€™s a fantastic fight. That MSG show is like my wifeā€™s Christmas list. Every time I think itā€™s done something else gets added. Love that card. And itā€™sĀ proof that you can have a stacked card that people canā€™t wait to see without a title fight on there. Iā€™m not counting this BMF nonsense.Ā