The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Great fight. Would’ve been gutted if they went any other direction. I’m guessing this means they’ve probably overcome whatever obstacle was blocking Usman vs Covington as well. Can see that being announced for a card soon. Maybe something like Tyron Woodley vs Leon Edwards as well. 

• Paid Members

Hmmm, Edwards tweeted this yesterday. The last guy who beat him was...Kamaru Usman. 

70774E27-1273-4085-AA7A-7319B17AEEE8.jpeg

I doubt it’ll be on the MSG show now but i wonder if Covington is somehow out of the Usman fight and they’re going with Usman vs Edwards 2? Probably nothing of the sort and just a case of Edwards trying to get the title shot. What else could it be though? A Birmingham show maybe? 

Edited by wandshogun09

Helwani has tweeted that talks stalled for Usman vs Covington (on Covington's side), and then Usman vs Jorge (Usman's side). The UFC then entertained booking Masvidal vs Edwards, but talks didn't go far as they reached a breakthrough in talks for a Diaz vs Masvidal showdown.

The impression I get is that Usman will not fight on the MSG bill. In fact, it's probable that both he and Covington will be in the doghouse for a few months before the UFC re-opens talks with them. The UFC apparently threatened to strip Usman of the belt after they couldn't agree terms for a fight with Masvidal.  

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Seems like Jon Jones vs Jan Blachowicz is brewing. 

Jones tweeted this yesterday;

8-F685-A41-7-C01-4-DA0-A4-BE-059171-E833

Then Blachowicz tweeted this today;

76-E051-CC-42-A1-42-E3-8-EC3-EB322-B013-

And Dana did an interview with Dan Hardy for BT over the weekend and said it was looking like Blachowicz would be next for Jones. All seems to be lining up. 

• Paid Members

Eh? Wouldn’t have predicted that in a million guesses. I quite like the idea of Jacare at 205 though. 

Wonderboy Thompson vs Vicente Luque has been added to the MSG show in November as well now. That show just keeps getting better. 

MSG show is looking like this as it stands now...

Nate Diaz vs Jorge Masvidal 

Kelvin Gastelum vs Darren Till 

Johnny Walker vs Corey Anderson 

Derrick Lewis vs Blagoy Ivanov 

Stephen Thompson vs Vicente Luque

Edmen Shahbazyan vs Krzysztof Jotko 

Katlyn Chookagian vs Jennifer Maia 

Lyman Good vs Chance Rencountre

Julio Arce vs Hakeem Dawodu

Arce vs Dawodu is an under the radar corker as well actually. 

Edited by wandshogun09

That's shaping up to be a top card. 

I wonder what is next for Jones? Last I heard, Santos still has no timetable for a comeback and is unlikely to be cleared to train before the end of the year. Reyes, Walker and Anderson are all pencilled in for upcoming fights, and he holds recent victories over Gusty and Smith. Elsewhere, Oezdemir has lost 3 out of his late 4 fights.

Could Rakic be next for him? Or something more interesting?

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I hope it’s not Rakic. I think he’s got a lot of potential but it feels way too early for him. I want to see Rakic vs Oezdemir next. I think that would be a great scrap and a logical one for where they both sit in the division currently. 

I can’t think what this Jones fight news is. Seems too soon for DC considering he just got stopped by Stipe in a hard fight. Plus his old man just died. Only other thing I can think is Jones vs Stipe but I can’t see us getting that yet. Fuck knows?

• Paid Members

Given the UFC's propensity for chasing the dollar at the expense of all else these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up matching Jones with Reyes or the winner of Walker vs. Anderson.