The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Don't get me wrong, I also used to find Penn quite likeable and was a big admirer of his ability. But his ego was off the scale and it eventually hurt his career. Had he realised that he couldn't just rely on his ability to beat bigger and better-trained fighters, then he would have had much more success. In a weird way, his victory over Hughes in 2004 was bad for him. It made him think he could just coast and still have success. 

Fedor was almost as egotistical. He just hid it a lot better until his later years. 

Edited by jimufctna24

On 8/28/2019 at 9:38 PM, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Pathetic, embarrassing, bleak...the BJ Penn story.

Genuine prediction - BJ Penn dead via suicide within the next couple of years.

I think Penn will eventually get sent down. 

Either he'll seriously assault someone or get done for something drug-related.

Edited by jimufctna24

I have mixed feelings about the Usman vs Covington fight. On one hand, it's a very interesting match-up, as both have established themselves as top welterweights. Covington's dominant performance over Lawler has also made many think that he can beat Usman. 

Nevertheless, I would still want both gagged until fight-night. Covington is essentially a mixture of Jim Davidson and Tito Ortiz. He's a mumbling bad-taste merchant. Usman, while not an unpleasant character, is also a terrible trash-talker. Their interaction after Covington beat Lawler was one of the most tedious things I have ever seen in MMA. 

I do wonder who or what is holding the fight up though. Covington asking for too much money perhaps? 

• Paid Members

Yeah it seems to me like the UFC are going to kill off the potential Usman Vs Colby fight and the Masvidal Vs Diaz fight, as they are finding a hard time negotiating with at least two of the parties, and try and go with this Usman Vs Masvidal fight instead, like David says.

Maybe they are hoping Jorge wins and then Nate will become a bit easier to deal with. There would be the title (with the extra money and higher profile that it being a main event would bring, probably having more importance for Nate I would think). 

If Jorge gets the belt though, Colby's fucked again, which would be pretty funny. I wouldn't be betting against Usman though, against any of these guys.