The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Tyson Griffin is trying to get back in the UFC; 

91711-D9-F-25-CC-4-CCA-ABBC-974-D486-FD0

He’s coming off a win but he’s also 2-3 in his last 5 and hasn’t been very active at all. Those last 5 fights were spaced out between 2011 and 2018. 5 fights in 7 years! Can’t see them having him back on that form but I guess stranger things have happened and they always need to fill positions on the million cards they do now. 

Loved Tyson Griffin back in the day though. There was a time when he was genuinely one of the most exciting fighters in the game and was banging out FOTN’s like it was nothing. He had a 3 fight stretch in 2007 where he had consecutive corkers with Frankie Edgar, Clay Guida and Thiago Tavares. Proper stole the show 3 times in a row. When he fought Edgar, Griffin was probably expected to go the further of the two, which sounds mad now. He really fell off, particularly after that Gomi KO. I wouldn’t mind seeing him given another chance though. Doubt he’d go far but a shot on the prelims to see how he looks wouldn’t hurt. 

• Paid Members

I'd be well up for that one, and it makes sense to have an extra recognisable name to put on the thousands of Fight Night's the UFC have every year. I'll be honest though, I had no idea Griffin was still in the game. He's obviously not very active, but if pressed I'd have thought his last fight was about the turn of the decade, not last year. 

What's the rumour mill have to say for why Griffin has pretty much went missing?

• Paid Members

Not a clue. I know he was just taking time out and helping with training and cornering guys for a time. Without checking I think he had something to do with one of Cormier’s training camps a while back. Whether he had injuries as well or what, I don’t know why he’s been so inactive. 

Always forget as well that it was Tyson Griffin who handed Urijah Faber his first loss; 

EF20F92F-5491-4614-9AC1-2573C2A3EB78.gif

• Paid Members

That would be a logical fight to make. As would fights with Diego Sanchez and Jim Miller. Could also see rematches with Clay Guida and Urijah Faber. The Faber rematch especially with the backstory of their first fight and Faber’s comeback. He’ll never be a contender at this point but there’s legs to a Griffin return IMO. 

• Paid Members

That one has been brewing for a while. I remember Lentz giving Penn shit a couple of years ago and angling for a fight but it never came off. 

This is from 2016;

There’s history there. Penn is saying he wants the fight on the MSG show in November. 

Don’t know why they keep booking Penn. He looks like shit, he’s way past the point of being a shot fighter and even his ‘name value’ is pretty much non-existent now. A win over BJ Penn means practically nothing in 2019. So morally, it’s wrong to keep sending him out there. And it makes no sense business wise. It’s a bad look all round. Then you see him drunkenly rolling about with fat bouncers in Hawaii and there’s the domestic abuse stuff from his wife...and I can’t think of one reason to not cut ties with him. It’s not like him going to Bellator would be a game changer. He’s not Scott Hall and Kevin Nash jumping to WCW in 1996, is he? It’s baffling to me. And in a week when we’ve just seen 2 boxers die in the ring, you just shake your head at the thought of Penn being getting beat up more. 

• Paid Members

Nik Lentz was on Helwani’s show today talking about this BJ Penn fight and their history and stuff. 

Penn: I’ll see you soon. 

Lentz: Where are you gonna see me? I don’t spend time in the back of Hawaiian police cars. There’s no chance you’re gonna see me.

On a serious note, if what he’s saying is true, Penn sending Lentz’s wife messages on social media is a bit much. Doesn’t sound like he sent anything too bad but just leave peoples’ families out of it. It doesn’t surprise me at this point though. Penn has well gone off the rails. Lentz going on that everyone’s ‘suddenly’ worried about Penn’s health is wrong. There’s been nothing sudden about it. People have been calling for him to retire from around the time of the Nick Diaz fight in 2011, for fuck’s sake. And the calls have increased and gotten louder year after year since.

For what it’s worth, Dana is saying that this is absolutely Penn’s last fight in the UFC “win, lose or draw” and that he’s made that crystal clear to Penn. So you can probably expect to see Penn being fed to Gabi Garcia on Rizin’s New Years show. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 7/25/2019 at 8:02 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Tyson Griffin is trying to get back in the UFC; 

91711-D9-F-25-CC-4-CCA-ABBC-974-D486-FD0

wasnt it reported that Griffin had a real problem with alcohol a few years back or did i dream that?

• Paid Members

Haven’t seen it anywhere reliable yet, massive fistful of salt and all that but this might be worth keeping an eye on...

There are rumours on Twitter that the UFC are looking to make McGregor vs Aldo 2 at lightweight for the MSG show in November. 

Fuck knows.