The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Todd Duffee doesn't mind a lay off. Cant imagine him doing much in his return, but Duffee's initial run was fun as hell, win or lose it was always chaos.

DC/Stipe at 141, the first staredown...

Ā 

Edited by Egg Shen

So, according to Uncle D the reason for cutting John Lineker is;

ā€œI think it was because he hasnā€™t made weight a few times,ā€ said White, ā€œand I just know that the matchmakers were super frustrated with him. The guy wasnā€™t being professional."

Lineker has made weight in his last four fights. The last time he didn't make the weight was in 2016 against John Dodson.

Heā€™s missed weight 5 times(didnā€™t they have this rule of miss weight 3 times youā€™re out?)Ā in his UFC career and pulled out of 4 other fights too, Ā he said on Twitter if they didnā€™t like him or his style as he wasnā€™t getting any fights they should just release him.

They gave him the Rob Font fight and less then 48 hours before the fight he pulled out again.Ā 

13 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Heā€™s missed weight 5 times(didnā€™t they have this rule of miss weight 3 times youā€™re out?)Ā in his UFC career and pulled out of 4 other fights too, Ā he said on Twitter if they didnā€™t like him or his style as he wasnā€™t getting any fights they should just release him.

They gave him the Rob Font fight and less then 48 hours before the fight he pulled out again.Ā 

He last missed weight in 2016, like I said.

As for the injuries, I'm not quite sure what we expect fighters to do in such circumstances? It's like I heard Israel Adasanya saying to Bob Whittaker on the press conference a few days back. "I don't pull out of fights, I fight regardless," addressing Whittaker pulling out of the Gastelum fight.

He pulled out withĀ anĀ abdominal herniaĀ of the intestine and a twisted and collapsed bowel. What the fuck was Whittaker meant to do? "man up" is my guess, right?

Missing weight is unprofessional, but Lineker hasn't done that since 2016 and he's made weight with no issue his last four fights. If he'd been dropped following the Dodson fight then fair enough, but he wasn't.Ā 

The day we start describing fighters who pull out of fights for health reasons as being "unprofessional" is a pretty dark day in my opinion. We're not talking football or darts here, we're talking physical combat where health and even life is on the line.Ā 

I don't blame any fighter who decides not to enter a combat situation if they're carrying an injury or if they're ill. Only the truly bone-headed motherfuckers still buy into this "just bleed, man the fuck up and throw down" bullshit.

• Paid Members

Exactly. I think aĀ lot of that is spillover from the McGregor arselickers who would parrot him calling fighters pussies if they pulled out of a fight, or accused them of faking injuries.Ā 

Fuck, if Iā€™ve got the shits I donā€™t go to work. Now imagine having a hernia and a twisted/collapsed bowel likeĀ Whittaker,Ā when your job is being locked in a cage with a trained fighter.Ā 

I donā€™t know the full story with this Lineker thing but Iā€™m gutted. Easily one of the most entertaining fighters on the roster. If I was Scott Coker Iā€™d be on the phone to him pronto.Ā 

And don't get me wrong, I'm as frustrated as anyone else when a fighter pulls out of a fight, but I'm even more disappointed if they fight with an injury. For example, I'm hearing that Santos at the weekend went into that fight with an injured knee. As disappointed as I'd have been had he pulled out, I'm even more disappointed that we only really got to see him looking fully fit for a round maybe. His one big chance is probably gone now, sadly.

I'll never blame a fighter who pulls out with injury or suchlike, because it takes a lot to get in the cage and get punched in the face at the best of times, but if you're ill or injured? Fuck that.Ā