Brewster McCloud

What are you currently reading?

On 3/18/2019 at 2:48 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think by the third time I was just circling ‚Äúbegone‚ÄĚ, ‚Äúwretch‚ÄĚ and ‚Äúcountenance‚ÄĚ which all turn up a lot.

Having now finished it, the main thing I've taken away from is that Victor Frankenstein spends roughly 50% of the book either fainting or already unconscious.

I've now started on Akala's Natives: Race and Class In The Ruins of Empire, off the back of a recent TV appearance he made critiquing the racist tone in which knife crime is reported in the UK, that went viral. I have to admit I'd never heard of him beforehand, but have since become a fan.

It's not the best written book, but compelling enough that I'm reluctant to put it down, and while some of the points made seem obvious, that's probably because I'm accustomed to a lot of the literature he's referencing. It's bloody good, really.

Fucking love Akala - every time he shows up it's a lesson for the bigots. His politics are pretty close to mine.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, Brewster McCloud said:

I know there's an existing book thread but I searched in vain. Fuck it.

71FtyPZFaqL.jpg

Some of the financial jargon is flying over my head, but I'm a couple of chapters in and I'm learning a lot about the libertarian Sillicon Valley mindset and how guys like Zuckerberg took over the world. 

Worth a read you reckon ?

Picked this up yesterday, started it last night. Initial impressions are that it'll be a fun read.

b0685c70-41df-4bb2-a62e-7edb6f6c5a3a-ori

On 3/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, BomberPat said:

I have to admit I'd never heard of him beforehand, but have since become a fan.

I assume you've seen this clip from 2013?  This was the first time a lot of people had heard him.

BTW wasn't sure where this might go, but as it's related to what he's reading, I thought @BomberPat might find this little tidbit of Akala effectively calling out this ToryBoy on his dog-whistle racism very satisfying:

Wonderful stuff.

He touches on that notion of "white working class" in a part of the book I've just recently read, when discussing how the notion of whiteness as a racial identity is tied to white supremacy in a way that no other racial identity is tied to ideas of supremacy/superiority; it's an identity that, from its inception, was defined by the power it held over others, and that's why attacks on white supremacy can feel, to many, like attacks on whiteness as a whole.

I've definitely argued the case about "working class" as a signifier in political discussion before - there's almost invariably the invisible word "white" implied there. Because when people talk about "the working class", they're not talking about the black or mixed families that are statistically more likely to have a weekly household income of less than £400, or the Indian and Bangladeshi families more likely to have a weekly household income of less than £1000. "Working class" invariably means white. 

Similarly, in Akala's example above, when we talk about "working class communities", we envision Northern towns. We don't talk about Hackney or Tower Hamlets. 

Edited by BomberPat

Yeah he's great. He also has that gift of listening to what someone says. He barely ever interrupts and then he just picks apart what they have said. His interview with Piers Morgan the other day was a masterclass. He didn't once get baited into a shouting match, he just eloquently put his point across, backed it up with facts, and then nobody could say anything.

Piers Morgan was surprisingly not a complete cunt for once in that interview. He was still a cunt because he can’t be anything else, but not a complete one. 

He CAN be a good interviewer Morgan, but his role is to provoke and get people talking / watching. Its like Adrian Durham on TalkSport. They play the cunt because it gets people talking and angry. So much so that they are a cunt. Its best to ignore people like that.

29 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Yeah he's great. He also has that gift of listening to what someone says. He barely ever interrupts and then he just picks apart what they have said. His interview with Piers Morgan the other day was a masterclass. He didn't once get baited into a shouting match, he just eloquently put his point across, backed it up with facts, and then nobody could say anything.

Another thing he is good at was shown when he was on Question Time, the question was asked and he simply said "I don't really have an opinion on that subject" and didn't involve himself in the topic instead of blustering through with baseless opinions.