WWE Fastlane: this weekend

HarmonicGenerator

A Joe victory over Cena at Mania could put him back into the main event picture.

The guy looks great at the moment, I'd pull the trigger on him  this year 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Have WWE even bothered giving a justification why Vince doesn't want Kofi in the title match, or is it just "the fans can't have nice things" being the only story they know how to tell any more? Because from what I've seen of Fastlane so far, the announcers were openly saying "we don't know why Vince is doing this", which is hardly a compelling story.

It's staggering that they're obviously capable of making a star out of whole cloth, as they took Kofi from a career midcarder to a main event prospect in one night with zero build, yet they're intent on doing the Bit Of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Where Chris Tarrant Says "But We Don't Want To Give You That" with every babyface, because the only way they know to get babyfaces over is to pretend that they don't want them getting over.

To be fair, Kofi ticks all the boxes (apart from "lifts weights at the gym") for getting turned against the second the Internet hears Vince likes the idea of him as a WWE champion. He's a babyface, he did fuck all of note on the indies, and he's been in a wildly successful trio act for a few years. We're on year thirteen or fourteen now of "DON'T TELL ME WHO TO LIKE, VINCE, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!"

Fair fucks to them for just playing up to it, even if it is weird doing it with the top woman babyface and the WWE title challenger both at the same time.

17 minutes ago, MEGABUCKS said:

If Kofi becomes WWE champion he would be the 1st ever black WWE champion. (The Rock is half Samoan)... Maybe Vince isnt ready for a Black WWE champion

Well Booker T and Mark Henry were both World Champions. Depends how much you want to argue semantics.

3 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Well Booker T and Mark Henry were both World Champions. Depends how much you want to argue semantics.

Well they never were WWE champion. When they were World Champions there was always another guy holding the WWE championship

1 hour ago, Bohan said:

Yes but were they WWE world heavyweight champions???  The answer is still no!  

So one of the top titles was on them, a decision at least agreed by Vince. Or are you suggesting he was only racist as far as a certain belt?! 

I really hope Kofi wins the title for if nothing else to end this "there's never been a black WWE champion argument bollocks".  Mark Henry and Booker T don't count because they were world champs apparently.  The Rock doesn't count because he's only half black apparently.  They'll probably find a reason for why Kofi doesn't count too.  

Just now, thicko said:

So one of the top titles was on them, a decision at least agreed by Vince. Or are you suggesting he was only racist as far as a certain belt?! 

I don't quite understand what you are arguing here?  My post was quite simple and had no hidden message. was simply agreeing with the previous poster that if Kofi were to win the WWE title then he would be the first african american to ever hold the title - that's a fact!

11 minutes ago, The Dart said:

I really hope Kofi wins the title for if nothing else to end this "there's never been a black WWE champion argument bollocks".  Mark Henry and Booker T don't count because they were world champs apparently.  The Rock doesn't count because he's only half black apparently.  They'll probably find a reason for why Kofi doesn't count too.  

Because he's Jamaican.

• Paid Members

What a weird show that was.

It felt like a filler PPV (which it was), but not the filler PPV before Wrestlemania. Ordinarily, this show would have been about getting their ducks in a row, so that everyone's in the right spot for their Wrestlemania match, but did this manage it at all?

While I understand the impetus for a (last?) Shield match, it did nothing to build to Rollins' match at Wrestlemania - and how is a Universal Title match against Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania feeling like an afterthought?! - and we're still none the wiser what Roman Reigns will be doing at Wrestlemania, and whether or not Ambrose will even be there. 

Lynch vs. Flair wasn't a promising sign for the main event of Wrestlemania as - largely because it was such a foregone conclusion - it didn't feel nearly as heated as it should have done. It was the closest to the "get things in line for Wrestlemania" model on the show, but it was just putting Becky back into a match she'd already won, so really didn't feel all that significant. Was there anyone thinking she'd lose?

None of the title matches particularly felt like they matter, there was no "get the belt on to someone else in time for 'Mania" change. Shane's heel turn was the only time the entire Miz/Shane programme has made the slightest bit of sense to me, though I don't understand why they couldn't have done this last time around when they lost the belts, rather than here. 

The stuff Kofi was doing felt better suited for TV than PPV, and has seemingly done before, since, and better on Smackdown than it was here.

Beth and Natalya setting up a match with Nia and Tamina was interesting, and the only really new development on the whole show. 

Meanwhile, they're hyping Batista/Triple H for RAW, there's a Kurt Angle announcement on RAW, and so on and so on - using PPV to sell the TV?

Archived