WWE Fastlane: this weekend

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Yeah the FOX deal in October will make SmackDown the A show (at least temporarily, until the ratings don't meet the network standard and they get bumped down to FS1). Trying to shore up SD! ratings in the run up to and after the move to FOX is bound to be priority number one for WWE at the tail end of this year. 

I expect Roman to go over to Smackdown sooner rather than later, especially if they do want to go all the way with Rollins and put the belt back on him. It would certainly freshen things up to have Roman over there. Either way, separating Roman and Seth, post 'Mania, makes sense to me. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

It's daylight savings weekend over there coming up so I think that means preshow at 10pm, event at 11pm. Almost bearable to stay up if it runs 3 hours like Elimination Chamber. 

• Paid Members

Thought it had it's moments. The Kofi thing has been handled awfully and I feel were getting WM XXX all over again with it.

The title matches I thought had great moments, and I thought the "final" Shield match was well done, though I am well over them as a faction, it was a good send off.

Otherwise, meh.

• Paid Members

Why do they keep mentioning that Ambrose is leaving? Are they trying to pressure him into staying or is it that Rollins wins the belt and then Ambrose decides he's sticking around so they feud? 

Caught glimpses of this while doing other things this morning. The fatal 4 way was a pleasant surprise as I didn't know it was booked and it was a really enjoyable match. Really wasn't focusing on the Shield match, watched their entrance and post match celebration to see what was happening. Not sure what the Ambrose stuff is about whether it's "reality era" lets tell it like it is stuff or he's staying and on the Raw after Mania will be the "shock" turn angle or something.

The Becky Charlotte stuff was terrible, just terrible in my opinion, felt like it had a lot less heat that before, Ronda didn't seem to give a fuck, not sure if that was purposeful but I don't mean in a good acting way, like she couldn't be bothered, it happened and they all just kind of left heat less. 

Kofi is definetely going to be in the title match at Mania but no idea how many members of the Smackdown roster will be with him - Kofi vs Owens vs Bryan vs Ali doesn't say Wrestlemania to me. Although I do have to admit the trolling of the audience by having a three way and it be Ali was hilarious to me

They're at serious risk of the Womens match not being a viable main event the way they have played this. 

Roman is visibly in better shape, he could probably wrestle with his top off these days he is so trim. 

I thought it was a good fast paced show. The kick off show was great, felt like an old time Sunday Night Heat. 

I was so hyped for the Charlotte Becky match after their last man standing match was one of my favourite matches of last year but this one fell flat for me. 

I think they they booked themselves into a corner with Becky’s knee injury. She sold it well, but as a result it wasn’t believable for her to be able to compete with a ruthless Charlotte. When you have a match that one sided, it isn’t often fun.

i get what they were going for with the finish, and it was quite a good idea for Ronda to force the issue, but the match prior to that didn’t quite push the story that Becky couldn’t win because of Charlottes ruthlessness, and thus Ronda comes out to save the match at Mania. 

The crowd sounded silent on it too, and Ronda just standing there in almost silence wasn’t a great visual.

im confident they can pull this back but they need for Becky to get over her knee injury and firing on all cylinders to get the heat back

• Paid Members

There's a good hour or so of action to be had from last night's show; Ricochet/Black vs Gable/Roode vs The Revival, Joe vs Rey vs Almas vs R-Truth and Bryan vs Owens vs Ali are well worth everyone's time.

I do hope they don't royally fuck up Becky and/or Kofi before 'Mania. They've got a month to keep them simmering, reheat them or have them cool off even more. Can't say I have much confidence but a lot can happen in the span of a few weeks. I guess I'm cautiously cynical.

• Paid Members

I thought that was the best PPV in quite a while. Certainly better than The Rumble and Elimination Chamber anyway. 

Shane/Miz Vs The Uso's was a good opener with the crowd well invested and a noteworthy angle at the end. 

The Revival Vs Black/Ricochet Vs Roode and Gable was very good and could have been really great with a few more minutes to continue heating up. 

The US Title match was tonnes of fun. A really enjoyable match, as was the WWE title triple threat match. 

The main event delivered Shield nostalgia and the heels, especially Corbin, getting their just desserts in the end. It started off a bit slow, considering Corbin and Lashley were in there, but it built to a good brawl and a worthy main event. 

I was pleasantly surprised watching FastLane, and hopefully I'll be saying the same after 'Mania. So often WWE shoots itself in the foot with the booking of some of the matches, hampering the quality of those matches. On this show however, with the matches I mentioned above, I think they all delivered as well or better than would have been expected. 

* That Shield ‘handheld’ promo by McIntyre, Corbin and Lashey...fuck me. McIntyre was ok, Corbin was just shit like he normally is and Lashley has the personality of a Rich Tea biscuit

* I know this is probably not-picking on my part, but from a kayfabe standpoint The Bar were not booked on the show, so why were they there and in their gear? We’ve seen guys do promos in their street clothes a little more often recently, so could they not have had The Bar wrestle in theirs, or are we just meant to believe that everybody on the roster is at every show in the wrestling gear ready to go at a moments notice. It’s a little thing I know, but it would just give a smidge of believeability to things

* It wasn’t until they did the recap of Shane’s turn, about an hour into the show, that I realised how Smackdown-heavy this was

* I still can’t work out why Bow-Tie & Blazer wearing Ricochet and Black Metal Satanist Aleister Black have been put together, unless they’re tattoo buddies.

* Does Andrade not have Internet points to be cheered when doing the Three Amigos? That US Title Four Way was a lot of fun though.

* what a wet fart to finish that Charlotte/Becky Match. They had handicapped the match to a degree by continuing with the knee injury. I’d accepted a while back that it was going to a Triple Threat, but they way they finally got there was a bit shit.

* The more times they mention that Ambrose “won’t be re-signing”, the more I’m convinced that he was never leaving in the first place, which in all fairness fair play to them for getting the netboys all hard thinking that Dean was heading to AEW.

Not a bad show by any means, but also a show of so little consequence that needed have happened. For what little storyline advancement that occurred here, you could have just as easily done those aspects on TV.

3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

* I know this is probably not-picking on my part, but from a kayfabe standpoint The Bar were not booked on the show, so why were they there and in their gear? We’ve seen guys do promos in their street clothes a little more often recently, so could they not have had The Bar wrestle in theirs, or are we just meant to believe that everybody on the roster is at every show in the wrestling gear ready to go at a moments notice. It’s a little thing I know, but it would just give a smidge of believeability to things

They could have been in the know.  They might have been told, you're going to have a match tonight, just keep it ssshh.  Also, even from a "kayfabe" POV, them being there despite not being booked isn't unbelievable.  As far as being in their gear, if they didn't know in advance they were in a match and only found out a few moments before, they could have been doing a photoshoot, or any number of things that might require them to be in their gear.  I don't think it's a big deal.

Archived