Actors Who Ruin Your Telly

Astro Hollywood

I hate David Tennant. I can't say he's ruined anything because I can't bring myself to watch anything that he's in for a prolonged period because he's dog shit. It's his stupid fucking face. His abysmal "range" of two expressions, which are "eyes bugging out of my head like a moron" and "dumbfuck puzzled look" repulse me, and I am floored any time someone tries to put him over.

I'll also cast a tentative vote for Russell Howard. I'll say tentative because I honestly haven't watched him in years because I thought he sucked so much, and he may have improved. Just the annoying guy who is laughing at his own joke as he's telling it to you with that "isn't this funny!" inflection in his voice in an attempt to disguise the fact its a bog standard line. Maybe its just my comic taste, but I don't like comedians who talk in such a manner, its not funny. And it makes every punchline less funny, which is a struggle when there isnt much creativity in the gag to begin with. He's the anti-George Carlin.

48 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I'll also cast a tentative vote for Russell Howard. I'll say tentative because I honestly haven't watched him in years because I thought he sucked so much, and he may have improved. Just the annoying guy who is laughing at his own joke as he's telling it to you with that "isn't this funny!" inflection in his voice in an attempt to disguise the fact its a bog standard line. Maybe its just my comic taste, but I don't like comedians who talk in such a manner, its not funny. And it makes every punchline less funny, which is a struggle when there isnt much creativity in the gag to begin with. He's the anti-George Carlin.

His mum is million times the comedian he is. 

Kristen Ritter was this for me. Absolute hatred of her face and voice, and couldn’t stand her in anything - up until Jessica Jones, which I liked. Since then, the only thing I’ve seen her in is one episode of Apartment 23, and I went back to hating her in that, but it was intentional there so I’m not sure if I’ve softened on her or not.

I hate David Tennant. I can't say he's ruined anything because I can't bring myself to watch anything that he's in for a prolonged period because he's dog shit. It's his stupid fucking face. His abysmal "range" of two expressions, which are "eyes bugging out of my head like a moron" and "dumbfuck puzzled look" repulse me, and I am floored any time someone tries to put him over.

He was also a terrible Doctor in that he wasn't the Doctor at all. He would just saunter in and kiss women. Hated it. And his last line was bollocks. Its not shock to me that Matt Smith has gone on to have the better career. A far superior actor

• Paid Members

I don't get why people think Tennant is the best Doctor. He was just mugging to the camera and fawning over Billie Piper for three years. There were some good episodes during his run, but they mostly featured him in a reduced role.

I suppose its a combo of a few things.

1. He was a lot of people's first Doctor. Ecclestone was in and out, where as Tennant was there for 4 or so years. 'Who' was in its popular peak after coming back

2. The whole Doctor/Rose thing was very YA so to an army of teenage girls, he became this big thing. Indeed 'Tennant fan girls' is still an insult that gets flung about

Ultimately he's the most un Doctorish Doctor there's been. Matt Smith took it back to a Troughton esque vibe and the DT fans hated him. He's basically The Doctor for people who don't like Doctor Who.

• Paid Members

I thought he was an excellent Doctor. Not the best, mind, but very good. Though in fairness my favourite is Peter Davison, so my judgement may not be the best.

Also, I dont see how you can say Matt Smith has the better post who career. Tenants is far more impressive, from an objective point of view. 

lso, I dont see how you can say Matt Smith has the better post who career.

Smith was in The Crown, which was a huge critical and commercial hit worldwide. He's about to be in the new Star Wars. He's just gotten cast in the new Morbius film. His star is definitely brighter than Tennant. He also goes out with Lilly James which means he wins everything

• Paid Members

Tennant was in Broadchurch, a worldwide commercial and critical hit that has also been adapted. He was, as mentioned, the antagonist in series 1 of Jessica Jones to great reviews, as well as doing voice over work on multiple animated films and series. From a purely critical POV he has won far more awards post Who than Smith too.

Matt Smith has denied being in Star Wars (doesn't mean he isn't, actors lie) and we dont really know if Morbius will be worth crowing about yet. Let's be fair Sony haven't the best track record with Spidey films. 

For the record, I think Smith was a great Doctor and actor (though a bit shit in Terminator Genysis), I have no horse in this race, I just cant see how objectively you can make that claim. 

• Paid Members

Tennant had The Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, and The Impossible Planet. Three of the best stories since it's return and better than any of Ecclestone's. This gave him some serious cement around his boots, and Smith wasn't around yet for comparison.

For what it's worth, I liked Tennant, but I agree that Smith surpassed him.

Agree on the episodes. But...he's not really in Blink so I don't count it.

Girl In The Fireplace is his best performance in Doctor Who, along with Midnight and Human Nature. Actually he became altogether more bearable when Donna joined as there chemistry was of friends and in no way 'OMG I LOVE HIM'

Exactly this, but Coronation Street. Can't stand the programme, but if it happens to be on when Mikey North (playing the character of builder Gary Windass) is what you could loosely describe as "acting", Well...😮

Not only are the delivery of his lines appalling, but he only has one facial expression, it really is hard to tell the difference between an expression of him "winning the Euro Lottery Rollover" and an expression of him finding out he "has just a week to live!" Bloody awful!