UFC Nashville: Wonderboy vs Pettis - Mar 23 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, main event aside it wasn’t much of a show. The fights I thought would really deliver like Formiga vs Figueiredo and Makdessi vs Pinedo just didn’t catch fire and even Vera vs Saenz was over before it got going. 

It was nice to see Randa Markos have a good showing on the prelims. She completely outclassed Angela Hill and subbed her in a round. She needed something like that. 

And I think I mentioned it after her UFC debut but as promising as Maycee Barber looks for 20 years old, I can’t help thinking her pulling back with her chin up in the air is going to end in tears sooner or later. It nearly did here when she got dropped in the first round. She did well to come back and get the finish herself but I get the feeling she’s going to run into trouble as she moves up the levels. Felt a bit sorry for JJ Aldrich. She was winning and looking well on track to derailing the hype train but it all went tits up in that final flurry. 

• Paid Members

What a win for Wonderboy. Possibly the best and most important non-title fight win of his career. It's really breathed new life into him at this point. I was gutted for Thompson though who seems like a really good guy and I wanted Wonderboy to get the win, but he might be able to rebuild if he stays active. It would have been perfect timing for him to get a win with Woodley losing the belt, but he could still get back into contention with two wins if he can piece them together.

The world is Pettis oyster at this point. There are numerous fights that the UFC can make for him in two divisions. Whether he'll be able to put together consistency is another thing, but win or lose, he's never in a dull fight anymore in this current phase of his career. 

Overall it wasn't a very entertaining show in practice, and it didn't look like it would be on paper either. Blaydes eased past Willis like he should have done, barring the off chance of a big KO shot from Willis. 

Formiga really shut down Figueiredo and showed that he's a level above at least for the time being. Pena looked good in his win, and Maycee Barber managed to win despite not looking very impressive for all but the last thirty seconds or so. 

The less said about Makdessi Vs Pinedo, the better. 

For me, the Pettis win kind of papered over the cracks to an extent. The big finish (and it was impressive) has managed to overshadow the fact that he was getting his backside kicked throughout the fight. 

Up to that final punch he looked slow, he looked a bit heavy at the weight, and he was getting picked off easily. His face was a mess. I think at the end of that round Wonderboy decided to go for the finish, or at least put an exclamation point on the round, and it backfired. He was as open and attack-minded as I've ever seen him, and he paid the price.

It was the classic example of when people talk about "so and so would win nine times out of ten." That fight was the one time. I don't see Pettis doing much at Welterweight, and still think he's on the downward slide. Too many wars, although he's still able to pull out the odd win here or there obviously.

Archived