Are you an actual wrestling fan?

tiger_rick

29 minutes ago, TheOfficeHold said:

Noone is a rassling fan unless these do or have done all of the following

1) refer to any wrestlers by their real names

2) claim at some point to have worked or been involved in some show that had someone who is now famous on

3) watches the WWE religiously behind closed doors but deny it in public and claim to only watch obscure niche promotions downloaded on torrents

4) never used the word independent always refers to 'indy'

5) went to their first wrestling show before having a sexual relationship with another human

6) honestly believes that other wrestlers really use terms in real life as 'heat' 'face' 'locker room' etc when talking to each other

7) is owed a sum of money in some way by a British Wrestling promoter

😎 hates on wrestling at every given possibility just to hide their disgust at their self for loving such a ridiculous pastime

9) has had or appeared on some podcast of wrestling or thinks that starting one is a good idea

10) has told at least 5 people Kendo Nagasaki's real name is Peter Thornley or that El Ligero is called Simon Musk and from Leeds

11) has been involved in a back yard wrestling bout in the school playground

12) considers their self a better promoter/ writer/ matchmaker than anyone who is currently employed as such at any time in history

13) used the term graps in an attempt to look cool amongst their wrestling peers

14) actively derides any show that has ever had a raffle but never fails to mention the time they won a raffle at a wrestling show

15) still has their prize in mint condition from (14) above in the belief one day it will be 'worth something'

16) complaints loudly on the internet when they are described as a stereotypical wrestling fan yet consider the best story line their ever saw was about wrestlers portraying stereotypical roles

17) if attractive to females of the species holds an opinion on every single female wrestler ever as to 'if they would give them one'

18) you believe that your opinion of what 'wrestling is' is the only true correct definition and only your tastes should be catered for always without exception even though you never go to the shows you comment on repeatedly

19) you actually know the rules for professional wrestling yet have never seen or ever known a hard copy to exist for anyone to reference

20) you actually read all this list and were preparing to answer in some form

You forgot

21) Will wear a black (or used to be black) T-Shirt to every show they attend

22) Rang a "hotline" in the pre Internet days

DAMMIT JUST READ NO.20!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
26 minutes ago, TheOfficeHold said:

17) if attractive to females of the species holds an opinion on every single female wrestler ever as to 'if they would give them one'

Bit of a red pill flag here.

Started off being a fan of the WWF around 89/90, then caught a smattering of WCW in the early 90's.

Stayed that way until around Summerslam 94 i think and then got bored of "wrestling" a bit as a couple of years before i became obsessed with footy.

Got back into it around Wrestlemania 12 time as i heard at school The Ultimate Warrior was coming back, became obsessed with both WWF and WCW until WCW closed, kept my interest in WWF up for the next few years, and then got into several different indie promotions for a bit thanks to TWC in around 03/04 (?), using that as a platform to find whatever i could from any promotion really.

When TWC stopped airing i lost all contact with other promotions and just watched the WWE, and stayed that way ever since really, now my watching habits consist of Raw, Smackdown, NXT, Takeovers and PPV's when ever i can fit them in, a lot of the time i end up deleting Raw/Smackdown and watching the highlight shows.

So to sum it up, i think i was a "wrestling" fan at one point, but i'm pretty much more of a WWE fan than anything else.

I like WWE main roster stuff. I like tits. I don't care if a wrestler got good by being dropped on his head in Japan. And I'm a massive mark for pre-leukemia Roman Reigns.

According to "actual wrestling fans" this makes me a dribbling virgin who pisses in my pajamas and lives in my mums basement.

• Paid Members

Record Raw and Smackdown every week but fuck knows why. Unless I see a snippet of a segment or match on Twitter that I might have some interest in, I'll just delete them off the Virgin box. Have the network. Dont use it sometimes for weeks on end but when I do, I browse around the 90s, early to mid 2000s, and the excellent documentaries. I don't watch the weekly NXT show but I'll watch a few matches from the Takeovers if I've heard good things about them. Working nights full time for a decade means my sleep is completely fucked, so I'm usually wide awake for the PPVs but have no interest in actually watching them. Apart from Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble match obviously. Keep up to date through podcasts and this place.

i dunno lol

• Awards Moderator

Used to be, not any more. Give me a fun character over work rate any day, and I don’t give a toss if you were rated in Japan or the indys. If you’re a good heel I can appreciate you but I’m not cheering you. It’s never both these guys, nobody deserves anything and no fight should be forever.

Ten or twelve years ago, though, I was as Actual as you could get while being clean shaven.

8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I'm not an actual wrestling fan, I'm a sports entertainment fan.

This. From what little I've seen of freestlye and Greco-Roman wrestling, I can safely say I'm not a fan of them at all. 

When someone asks me if I'm into wrestling, I say yeah. I know they mean the fake fighting, and I don't correct them to say 'sports entertainment'. 

So yeah... I'm a wrestling fan. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Used to be, not any more. Give me a fun character over work rate any day, and I don’t give a toss if you were rated in Japan or the indys. 

This. 

Even when I first got into wrestling as a child during the early 90's, I was much more interested in the promos, characters and wrestler entrances than anything that happened between the ropes. If watching a VHS tape, I'd often fast forward through matches until it was time for the finishers etc. 

Because of that, the short style matches of the period and then the Attitude era suited me perfectly. I realise that now is ideal for your wrestling purists where the WWE style has almost become 'super indy', but I really have to be in the mood to appreciate a 'super workrate' match and can't imagine sitting through a 3 hour Raw with loads of long-ish matches.

But as I've said before, wrestling is all about nostalgia for me these days. The last WWE match I watched was HBK and HHH v Kane and the Undertaker as it contained characters that mean something to me. I loved 2010-ish TNA when it had all the 90's wrestlers still knocking about and still watch it every now and then out of nothing more than loyalty really. The only event that has piqued my interest over Wrestlemania weekend is Sabu and RVD teaming up for Impact, I couldn't give a shit about WM itself.

While I still read up on all the news, every week I read about a 'returning' wrestler coming back to WWE when I didn't even realise he or she had ever been off TV, or the latest on wrestlers in the mid to upper card that I genuinely couldn't even put a face to. I'm lapsed as hell.

I consider myself a wrestling fan. I've always been more interested in stuff outside of WWE. I figure it's because my first exposure to wrestling was World of Sport and then WCW Worldwide. I've always liked fast paced wrestling and flashy mid carders. I never pretended to be Hogan or Warrior on the playground but I always wanted to be Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, Tom Zenk or Marty Jannetty. 

Even at 10 I was an insufferable hipster.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

If you spend more time on here discussing wrestling than actually watching it are you MORE or LESS of a fan?

Ooh that's a good one. I definitely spend more time reading and discussing wrestling than actually watching it these days.

Always been clean shaven so i'm probably not a real wrestling fan, I spend more time these days watching older shows and reading online that actually watching it. 3 or more hours in one go is quite a lot of time these days and I often find preferred things to watch that are not wrestling that take up the time I have that could be used for hour long shows. I think not being able to go to any shows at all these days has caused my love to wane. Perhaps when I finally move back to the UK that might be corrected but I reckon then i'll attend the local family shows but won't have the passion to drive across the country for something bigger. 

Had a news notification from the Guardian asking why pro wrestling isn't covered in such publications, "Is it because wrestling is dismissed as frivolous, silly pantomiming for the great unwashed – the same people who probably voted for Brexit?". 

Well, I always considered myself a fan but didn't vote to leave so who knows now?

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/01/spandex-snobbery-liberal-elite-wrestling-working-class

Archived