UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

11 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

he basically started the marve movie universe and now he's directing the live action Lion King film for Disney.

I thought you were meant to be defending him?

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

he basically started the marve movie universe

I legitimately didn't know this and that's all his Chef good grace used up and then some.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The first series is watchable to decent. John Hamm is excellent as always. Tried the second series but it was hot garbage.

To preempt a possible follow question, as someone who also wanted some more 30 Rock magic I also tried to watch the second series of News Room. It's terrible. Good cast, dreadful writing. Also despite being heavily featured in the advertising Tina Fey was only in a couple episodes.

Ah bollocks. I'll give them both a miss, cheers Chest. I'll just finish off Parks & Rec and I might start Veep in the interim.

7 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

As someone who is suffering from 30 Rock withdrawal symptoms, is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt any good? The trailer doesn't look too promising, it just feels like your standard light-hearted US sitcom, but I've heard that it's a spiritual sequel of sorts. Is there more to it than whats contained in an 2 minute clip show?

I find it’s one of those shows that I’ll put on if I’m drifting off to sleep.

As in I’m not arsed if I miss much but it’s fairly decent innofensive stuff.

Not a glowing endorsement I know 

3 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

reading this thread I've just realised that for years every time anyone anywhere has mentioned Jon Favreau I've been thinking of John Turturro. When @Bellenda Carlisle mentioned him being fat and beardy i had to look him up, realise he isn't who i'm thinking of then work back in my mind through the films of the man i was thinking of and accept the fact that no - John Turturro has not in fact drastically changed his style in recent years he is in fact a totally different man. so who the bloody hell is Jon Favreu then? and what has John Turturro been doing for the last ten years? 

so that means that Elf wasn't directed by Jesus from the Big Lebowski....

Turturro seems to be indie for life bar his Sandler films. He was great in the The Night Of a couple of years back though. That a long with anything he's done with the Coens means he has a lot of good credit with me, enough to pass him for Mr Deeds at least.

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Triple Frontier is fantastic, one of the best things Netflix have put out. Will legitimately fume if they don't do a sequel.

Wow, really?  I know we have very very different taste in films, but that was a really hollow, characterless, US right-wing wank fantasy action by numbers, taking itself very seriously despite a really silly and derivative plot.  I thought at one point one of them was going to turn to the camera and say "Are we the bad guys?".

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

Wow, really?  I know we have very very different taste in films, but that was a really hollow, characterless, US right-wing wank fantasy action by numbers, taking itself very seriously despite a really silly and derivative plot.  I thought at one point one of them was going to turn to the camera and say "Are we the bad guys?".

It's an action adventure film, I never take them seriously enough to care what side of the political spectrum they may have been on, but I didn't get a right-wing feeling from it at all. Especially so considering who was directing it.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought it was a great cast and Charlie Hunnam.

Well, each film needs at least one duffer. And no matter who else is also in the film, if Charlie Hunnam is in it, it's almost guaranteed to be him. More like Charlie HoHum. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

I hope we can all agree Escape Plan 2 was brutally bad, unless Gladders loved it of course.

On the other hand, despite a very low budget and a pretty bad cast All The Devil's Men was actually worth watching.  Some fun firefights and a twisty turny plot.  I got that LA Takedown vibe where the director was going for something gritty and different but lacked the money and cast to completely pull it off.  I feel he has a good film in him, a bit like Michael Mann.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Accountant

Top performance by Affleck in a decent action thriller.  Anna Kendrick is in it as well, which scores some points on here.

Getting a sequel too! Had loads of fun with this as well.