UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Moderators
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The Chef Show

Jon Favreau cooks for famous pals.  The first episode had him making a pepper pot for Pepper Potts and Cuban sandwiches (<3) with Bill Burr.

Great fun for foodies and geeks alike.  Probably right up your street @Onyx2 and @Thunderplex.  Sorry TP, it must be weird being tagged and it not being Flair tonsil hockey.

This sounds great. Only @Bellenda Carlisle could possibly not like this...

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The Chef Show

Jon Favreau cooks for famous pals.  The first episode had him making a pepper pot for Pepper Potts and Cuban sandwiches (<3) with Bill Burr.

Great fun for foodies and geeks alike.  Probably right up your street @Onyx2 and @Thunderplex.  Sorry TP, it must be weird being tagged and it not being Flair tonsil hockey.

It does make a refreshing change!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This sounds great. Only @Bellenda Carlisle could possibly not like this...

😂 

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He'll be alright if Favreau wears a Batman t-shirt.

No way man, if all it took to get me to like a fatso beardy movie director was them wearing a Batman T-shirt then how could I hate Kevin Smith?

How To Sell Drugs Online (Fast)

I’m sure that if i was 15 years younger, I would’ve enjoyed this at least 72% more. 

Having said that, it’s quite fun, and there is some excellent dark humour in places. It’s well made, even if they go a bit above board with the overlaid WhatsApp and Instagram graphics, although these are well done.

The two leads are good, and there’s only 6 episodes at 25ish minutes each, so you can knock it out fairly quickly. 

Would definitely watch another series. 

• Paid Members

As someone who is suffering from 30 Rock withdrawal symptoms, is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt any good? The trailer doesn't look too promising, it just feels like your standard light-hearted US sitcom, but I've heard that it's a spiritual sequel of sorts. Is there more to it than whats contained in an 2 minute clip show?

When They See Us

Incredible TV. A harrowing story, and one which will have you disgusted at what those lads were put through. A cracking cast as well, with some strong performances, but the accused are the stand outs. Just so well acted. Jharrel Jerome especially.

Recommend the documentary as well. 

I need something funny after going through that I can tell you.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

When They See Us

Incredible TV. A harrowing story, and one which will have you disgusted at what those lads were put through. A cracking cast as well, with some strong performances, but the accused are the stand outs. Just so well acted. Jharrel Jerome especially.

Recommend the documentary as well. 

I need something funny after going through that I can tell you.

I talked about it in the TV thread like an idiot. Oprah is having a special on Netflix tomorrow, I believe with the 5

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

As someone who is suffering from 30 Rock withdrawal symptoms, is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt any good? The trailer doesn't look too promising, it just feels like your standard light-hearted US sitcom, but I've heard that it's a spiritual sequel of sorts. Is there more to it than whats contained in an 2 minute clip show?

The first series is watchable to decent. John Hamm is excellent as always. Tried the second series but it was hot garbage.

To preempt a possible follow question, as someone who also wanted some more 30 Rock magic I also tried to watch the second series of News Room. It's terrible. Good cast, dreadful writing. Also despite being heavily featured in the advertising Tina Fey was only in a couple episodes.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Triple Frontier is pretty bloody awful by the way.  Some good action sequences but so utterly devoid of humanity that you feel pretty dirty afterwards.

reading this thread I've just realised that for years every time anyone anywhere has mentioned Jon Favreau I've been thinking of John Turturro. When @Bellenda Carlisle mentioned him being fat and beardy i had to look him up, realise he isn't who i'm thinking of then work back in my mind through the films of the man i was thinking of and accept the fact that no - John Turturro has not in fact drastically changed his style in recent years he is in fact a totally different man. so who the bloody hell is Jon Favreu then? and what has John Turturro been doing for the last ten years? 

so that means that Elf wasn't directed by Jesus from the Big Lebowski....

• Paid Members

Jon Favreau is the character actor and filmmaker who low key became one of the powerful guys in Hollywood, he basically started the marve movie universe and now he's directing the live action Lion King film for Disney. I've always liked him cos I loved Swingers and Made. He seems like a good guy who's worked hard and been really clever with his choices and he deserves what he's got now.