UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

American Horror Story Apocalypse (Netflix)

Never watched the series before but the scenario caught my eye. Has the dialogue and acting always been this bad? Struggled to get through the first episode.

Doesn't help when the first character introduced is a rich asshole who's goal is to be an online influencer. Yeah that's super relatable.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gillian Jacobs looks like every other American college film sorority girl. Alison Brie would make me become the sort of man who wears trousers around the house and collared shirts under jumpers when w

This thread is fucking dumb anyway. There's a tv show thread, a film thread, a documentary thread, a stand-up thread, etc. What is the point in keeping any of those things out of their respective thre

It's horrendous, Brewster. And I should have known it would be shite because Harlan Coben, and also because all the Love Island and Mrs.Browns Boys lads and ladies in work are saying how amazing it

Posted Images

It’s always been trash. The asylum one had it’s moments, mostly ones featuring Jessica Lange (still would) but it’s not a show I imagine hits it’s stride by the 10th or 11th time out.

I don't know if this is the place for other streaming services but Quibi is dead, no big shock there as it was laughably bad from the start being limited to phones and getting pretty much zero good new content on there. When the Streetlights Go On was the only thing to catch my attention but I had to pirate that anyway as there's no chance I'm sitting there watching a show on a 5 inch screen.

So I watched Borat 2 today, it's ok I guess, not as funny as the first although there are still a couple of funny bits.

But, Rudy Guiliani, it sounded bad in the press, and unfortunately it's not much better in the film. It goes from him being supportive to very creepy. I mean he has been set up massively, she keeps touching his leg, she rubs his back at one point, however this does not make his behaviour excusable especially when he knows she's 15.

Borat's Subsequent Moviefilm

My expectations were fairly muted - I mean I really wanted to enjoy it at all costs - but I genuinely hated it. It lacks both the variety show element and Borat's own weird lovability that made the first film so good. I understand he's somewhat backed into a corner with being so recognisable, but it feels like a bit of a bait and switch with how much Borat you actually get. Riffs its main source of humour to death and just comes off as crass, crude and hollow. 

Still, I'm sure most will enjoy it and there's already a premade narrative out there that I'm a beta cuck whose not ready for proper funny shit anymore. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK
  • Paid Members
On 10/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, Merzbow said:

The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is pretty amazing, Anya Taylor Joy completely owns it in an almost one woman show. I never thought I'd be so engrossed in a show about chess.

Do you need to have more chess knowledge than that episode of Bottom to fully appreciate this? Because I prefer to watch Anya Taylor Joy in (almost) everything as she's one of the best actresses on the planet.

I watched about just over half of Ted Lasso on the weekend. I’ve seen loads of great reviews for it and I’m quite surprised. For the uninitiated it’s about an American football coach played by Jason Sudekis who comes over to manage a fictional lower mid table premier league club as part of a revenge plot by the love rat ex Chairman’s ex wife who wants to ruin his football team.

If it sounds like some mad Dream Team plot line that’s because that’s how it comes across only with Jason Sudekis as a super likeable sweet natured and deceptively smart sports coach. I found that I quite liked it to a point but didn’t laugh once. Quite similar to the other Apple TV sitcom Mythic Quest in that it’s quite well observed comedy but not at all funny.

I’ve also gotten to series 7 of It’s Always Sunny. Series 6 was by far my favourite so far  despite them really running with the Dennis is a rapist thing quite a lot. The good thing is that the characters are so ridiculous and despicable that I can’t imagine them turning in to caricatures of themselves anymore than they started off as. It’s definitely entered in to my favourites sitcoms list.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Do you need to have more chess knowledge than that episode of Bottom to fully appreciate this? Because I prefer to watch Anya Taylor Joy in (almost) everything as she's one of the best actresses on the planet.

You don't but I'm pretty sure she drinks an Ester Rantzen at some point.