Loki

UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

I watched a bit of Mythic Quest on Apple TV and despite it being a little light on laughs I quite enjoyed what I’ve seen so far. It seems incredibly well observed and doesn’t go for the cheap “gamers are basement dwelling geeks” laughs you’d expect an American sitcom to go for.

The Lovebirds (Netflix)

Enjoyable comedy-thriller. A bit like Game Night but not quite as good. Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani are brilliant and there are some great one-liners. Not enough threat in the support cast and Anna Camp's only in it for about 15 minutes, but well worth the time.

Snapdragon (Prime)

Fuzzy memories of renting this from Blockbuster purely to see Pamela Anderson's boobs.  Pony DTV crime thriller from the time when everything had to link to the orient to give it some intrigue and mystique (white girls are kidnapped to be brainwashed as geisha assassins), but you do get a bit of boob.

There were a few other films in the early 90s (pre-Barb Wire) that the video shops marketed purely on the fact that the boobs were out.  I can't remember though where this ranks in the league table of DTV Anderson Boob-glimpsers.

46 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Snapdragon (Prime)

Fuzzy memories of renting this from Blockbuster purely to see Pamela Anderson's boobs.  Pony DTV crime thriller from the time when everything had to link to the orient to give it some intrigue and mystique (white girls are kidnapped to be brainwashed as geisha assassins), but you do get a bit of boob.

There were a few other films in the early 90s (pre-Barb Wire) that the video shops marketed purely on the fact that the boobs were out.  I can't remember though where this ranks in the league table of DTV Anderson Boob-glimpsers.

Barb Wire is one of my guilty pleasures.  I think it’s actually quite fun, I like the reimagining of Casablanca as a dystopia, and I think Pamela does a great job in the role, with a decent supporting cast.

Plus, boobies and the VHS has like another ten minutes of her naked on that swing.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Snapdragon (Prime)

I can't remember though where this ranks in the league table of DTV Anderson Boob-glimpsers.

It's not quite as good as Naked Souls.

If you've got kids in the 5-8 range and you want to watch something with them, (or you're a big Dr Seuss mark), Green Eggs and Ham on Netflix is brilliant. Caught a bit as eldest was watching of her own accord so started watching it from the beginning in the evenings. Tons of fun. 

Anybody started on Snowpiercer next? Hearing some really good things and might start it next week when Killing Eve's current series ends.

Netflix just added Leave No Trace, starring mine and @Scott Malbranque's personal favourite man Ben Foster. It's a lovely film.

They also just added The Cured, which is a zombie film but a good zombie film and really under-appreciated.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

The "Adventures of.." movies, those ones from the seventies that were a counterpart to the "Confessions of..." series appear to be on Amazon Prime.

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The "Adventures of.." movies, those ones from the seventies that were a counterpart to the "Confessions of..." series appear to be on Amazon Prime.

Yes I watched about 20 mins of one, Plumber I think.  Absolutely fascinating to see his 70s bedsit, they’re surprisingly well shot.  The tits seem quite tame by modern standards, but as a piece of social history they’re worth a quick look.

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yes I watched about 20 mins of one, Plumber I think.  Absolutely fascinating to see his 70s bedsit, they’re surprisingly well shot.  The tits seem quite tame by modern standards, but as a piece of social history they’re worth a quick look.

Are the Carry On Films on Britbox? Something like that or the Ealing Comedies alongside all that old TV could get some attention on it. 

On 5/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Anybody started on Snowpiercer next? Hearing some really good things and might start it next week when Killing Eve's current series ends.

I enjoyed it, the two episodes that have been on anyway. Felt similar to and at the same time different enough from the film that it didn’t invite too many comparisons. Daveed Diggs has been excellent so far as you’d expect and there are some strong names in the supporting cast - Jennifer Connelly’s the big one but Mark Margolis is in there too. Maybe too early to say for definite but the Snowpiercer setting seems ideal for the noirish detective drama this looks like it’ll be.