Sign in to follow this  
Loki

UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Did you do the Bear Grills one? I think me and my fine lady watched more of them without the kids tbh. Unintentionally hilarious.

Didn't know there was one!!!

Is there an option to stop him banging on about God in his interviews?

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Didn't know there was one!!!

Is there an option to stop him banging on about God in his interviews?

Making Grylls get food poisoning from eating animal shit or mauled to death by the Wolves that don't really exist up Snowdon is fun for the whole family. Shits on Bandersnatch.

Only Yesterday (Studio Ghibli) is amazing, just amazing.  I cried like a girl through most of it.  Mrs Loki and I are watching through all the Netflix Ghibli movies in order, and I'd not seen this one before.

In many respects this is a perfect film - I'm not sure it puts a foot wrong.  Every cell of animation, every line of dialogue, every note of music and sound is just so beautiful.

Edit: although if anyone can explain why Daisy Ridley does an American accent where Dev Patel doesn't... so odd.

Edited by Loki

I’m watching the Ghibli films that I’ve not seen from each batch. Porco Rosso was much better that I’d been lead to believe, although Michael Keaton phoned it in good and proper on the English dub. 

I tried giving Laputa: Castle in the Sky a watch last night, but it was late and I dropped off so going to have to try again.

I've been working my way through the Netflix Ghiblis, and watched Tales from Earthsea the other night. I didn't hate it, but I can see why it has the reputation of being the worst Ghibli movie.

Ursula Le Guin's scathing review of it is pretty much the definitive take, my girlfriend (who hasn't read any of the books) agreed wholeheartedly with all of it.

The art direction was great, and some of the set-pieces were visually stunning, but you could tell it wasn't a seasoned director at the helm by how (comparatively) clunky a lot of the animation was. Nothing flowed the way it does in a Hayao Miyazaki film. Comparing this to something like the way the grass moves in the wind in The Wind Rises, or the richness of the stunning blue skies and tall fluffy clouds in practically every Miyazaki movie, is a stark contrast.

There was way too much pointless exposition early on, and the plot was just meandering and often impossible to follow, and I found myself having to guess at which bit of the Earthsea books they were trying to do at any given time. Without recourse to the books, I think my girlfriend was just completely lost. Most of the actual Earthsea "lore" was just crowbarred in awkwardly anyway - there were whole chunks of dialogue taken from the books and used in entirely different contexts, or moral lessons from the books given out utterly unearned by the story that preceded them. At one point, the story of "The Tombs Of Atuan" - one of the better Earthsea stories, and certainly a better story than this film - is given as just one line of dialogue, to give a character backstory. It was only at that point I realised who that character was supposed to be, and actually laughed out loud, and not for the last time at the randomness of how the source material was mined for this movie. That the character in question, Tenar, was transformed into a generic love interest/damsel in distress wasn't just a disservice to the books, but really disappointing from a studio that ordinarily does such a great job with well-written, strong female characters. Just another way it didn't feel sufficiently "Ghibli".

The other way it feels decidedly un-Ghibli, and un-Earthsea, is in having a cartoonish villain. Ghibli doesn't really do villains. 

To give them their due, I think part of the problem is that Earthsea had already been an influence on so much earlier Ghibli stuff. A lot of the key concepts - the power of true names, the balance of man and nature, "living" as a conscious and heroic act - were all done before, and done better, in Nausicaa, Mononoke, Pom Poko and Spirited Away.

Edited by BomberPat

Currently trying out the Starz Channel offer on Amazon - a few shows I've wanted to see on there. Starting with Mr Mercedes and The Act. Heard good things about both.

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Currently trying out the Starz Channel offer on Amazon - a few shows I've wanted to see on there. Starting with Mr Mercedes and The Act. Heard good things about both.

The documentary that The Act is an adaptation of, Mommy Dead & Dearest, is well worth checking out too. 

I've been slowly working my way through It's Alway's Sunny for a while and for some reason the photo fit of Dennis' paedo look-a-like has had me chuckling for days. I really hope it's all a steady incline of quality all the way through because each series has been better than the last so far.

11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I've been slowly working my way through It's Alway's Sunny for a while and for some reason the photo fit of Dennis' paedo look-a-like has had me chuckling for days. I really hope it's all a steady incline of quality all the way through because each series has been better than the last so far.

It absolutely is. The characters (Dennis especially) take turns and arcs that are wildly different from the first few series. Enjoy!

Latest 2 series of Sunny have mainly been duds bar one or two episodes. Mac being roided up and Dee & Dennis's noticeable plastic surgery procedures have taken something away from the show too. 

The most recent season has a few good episodes but some of the worst since the early few seasons. The season before was ok but not much better.

Agree with the comment about Mac, Dee and Dennis’ changes pulling the show down a bit. Dee and Mac especially are particularly off-putting.

I can't say their appearances make any difference to me, but the last two series have been pretty patchy. Still very good at their best though, just some duff episodes in there also.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I know it’s AppleTv, but anyone watch Mythic Quest? As it’s got some of the creative team behind Always Sunny figure a few of you may have checked it out