Sign in to follow this  
Loki

UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Ditto! Loved the comic, didn't even know this was in the works! I hope it's decent... Or really fucking awful. Because if it's just a little ok then I'll probably have to watch it all anyway.

Bought the Locke and Key comic set for Mrs Onyx last year as a random birthday present (she's a fan of Stephen King and Joe Hill). Only finished it myself last week so really keen to get this started. 

I don't remember if I ever finished the comic, or if I lost my way with it in between the different series coming out (I feel like there were fairly substantial gaps between them). I have started re-reading the first book on Kindle Unlimited at the same time as starting the show.

There's a Spanish Netflix Original called Mirage that's well worth seeing. Perfect if you like a bit of timeloopy / alternate universe stuff.

So how have people familiar with the comic found Locke and Key then?

I'm not, but I always heard the comic was a lot more horror focused than this show has been.

I've enjoyed it thus far, (I'm up to the finale), bar some dodgy young people's music cues, but again I don't really have a stake in the source material.

There's stuff in the comics that really wouldn't have worked on the series and I can understand why they have gone the teenage school drama route to pad it out, rather than straight up horror but it feels like its neither one thing, nor the other (they also threw in waaaay too many keys for a first series) Hopefully if it gets a audience they get a little more focused.

My 9 year old daughter is really keen on watching  Locke & Key. Is it early teen friendly or proper adult stuff? Like I'm happy for her to watch stuff like the DC CW shows with me but I wouldn't go much darker than that.

That's a tricky one @DEF. I know you've raised her on some hard stuff so she'd probably be OK. The Bode lead is surprisingly unannoying. 

It's a bit more Riverdale than I would like. I guess it's a tame Haunting of Hill House but it's fun enough. 

7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

That's a tricky one @DEF. I know you've raised her on some hard stuff so she'd probably be OK. The Bode lead is surprisingly unannoying. 

It's a bit more Riverdale than I would like. I guess it's a tame Haunting of Hill House but it's fun enough. 

Cheers, we may give it a go and turn it off if it gets to much. I'm usually ok with watch her watching stuff that's 12 rated as long as it's  with me and I can address  any issues or get her to look away at the right time etc. Having read the first comic last night I was a little apprehensive to say the least. But that does sound about her level.

8 hours ago, DEF said:

Having read the first comic last night I was a little apprehensive

Spoilers in case anyone wants to go in completely cold about the freakiest bits. 

The dad's murder is much less of a bloody fight. It's a short stand off and the gunshot that finishes him is very PG. 

The head opening stuff has been reimagined to something much less disturbing. It's more Narnia than trepanning.

The tone is definitely teen drama. They wanted a wide audience for this I think.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Spoilers in case anyone wants to go in completely cold about the freakiest bits. 

Hide contents

The dad's murder is much less of a bloody fight. It's a short stand off and the gunshot that finishes him is very PG. 

The head opening stuff has been reimagined to something much less disturbing. It's more Narnia than trepanning.

The tone is definitely teen drama. They wanted a wide audience for this I think.

Yeah that sounds fine then. Will give it a watch at half term. I quite like the comic. Pretty easy read so far.

Parasite? PARASHITE

The Lighthouse? THE SHITEHOUSE

etc

The cinematic highlight of the year is now on Netflix, To All The Boys: PS I Still Love You. What a day!

Also, went through the interactive Captain Underpants with the kids and it’s a lot of fun. They argued over everything but then that’s standard.

Did you do the Bear Grills one? I think me and my fine lady watched more of them without the kids tbh. Unintentionally hilarious.