Bruce Prichard is back in WWE. Stars in creative next week.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Yeah. For an industry as notoriously sleazy as wrestling, a child being made to do something abosolutely awful by his father doesn't strike me as being on top of the list. 

It's almost become Bossman winning the Rumble. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
16 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The worst thing is that JR tells the story like it's some sort of hilarious family annecdote. Like "Remember that time our Julie sneaked three shandies at cousin Teresa's wedding and had a piss on the dance floor?"

Or "remember that time our Alan spilled shandy on Ruth Duggan at the Pride of Britain awards?"

.... Yes, I'm aware I've made that ref already in the appropriate thread. I've never seen one before, no-one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Yeah. For an industry as notoriously sleazy as wrestling, a child being made to do something abosolutely awful by his father doesn't strike me as being on top of the list. 

I don't know that it's the story as such (and no-one is claiming it to be the worst thing ever done by a someone in the industry, you're absolutely right) but perhaps the sheer regularity with which he tells the story. I've heard it on multiple occasions and I don't even listen to his podcast. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I don't know that it's the story as such (and no-one is claiming it to be the worst thing ever done by a someone in the industry, you're absolutely right) but perhaps the sheer regularity with which he tells the story. I've heard it on multiple occasions and I don't even listen to his podcast. 

Are you hearing this second hand then? Because as Arch mentioned, it's never something he sounds proud or happy about. Worth remembering this was atleast 45 years ago too. 

I'd never condone killing animals (Vegan thread police) But you'd think it was the worst thing to have ever happened involving a wrestling personality whenever it pops up on here judging by some of the responses. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Silky Kisser said:

Are you hearing this second hand then?

No I've definitely heard it discussed by JR outside of his own podcast, and more than once. However, I'm not suggesting he gleans any enjoyment from the story or indeed the memory, just that he has told it a few times. 

1 minute ago, Silky Kisser said:

But you'd think it was the worst thing to have ever happened involving a wrestling personality whenever it pops up on here judging by some of the responses. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but just because other stories from within the industry are worse, doesn't mean it isn't a disturbing story. 

• Paid Members

I know that, it just strikes me as odd that any mention of JR usually results in the puppy talk. Where say a King conversation doesn't usually turn into an alleged sodomy discussion. 

As said, it's the new Bossman winning the Rumble. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I know that, it just strikes me as odd that any mention of JR usually results in the puppy talk. Where say a King conversation doesn't usually turn into an alleged sodomy discussion. 

That's fair, and I take your point. It shouldn't be that way, but it is something that instantly I think of when I think of JR, sadly. Perhaps because Lawler is accepted as being a sleazy old man, it's just implied when people talk about him but JR is so well respected that it gets a mention because it jars so much with the other perceptions of him, rightly or wrongly. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

His family used to breed puppies but the dog ended up getting impregnated by one of her own pups so JR's dad put all the subsequent puppies in a sack and told JR to kill them.

Thank you, never heard that before. Not as bad as I expected somehow, at least it's not JR kills dogs for fun!

• Paid Members

I do recall someone saying that when he told the story at his live Q&A tour in the UK, there was an air of, "what a ripping yarn!" to his delivery, rather than seeing it as something unconscionably bleak and horrendous.

• Paid Members

The puppy story disturbed me (not including the dead puppies), because when i heard it he used it as a 'This generation are pussies' type anecdote. He said something like "If this happened today I guess my dad would be charged with abuse!"

Yeah he would, because your dad was/is a fucking weirdo and probably should have been investigated back then too. And after all that, JR is an example of tough love not working. He didn't become a gruff alpha male. He was humiliated on TV regularly, often by Vince himself and never said a word, he took every inch of it.

Archived