Labour Split / Independence Group

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The right wing however will still continue to vote Tory regardless.

Not so sure on this one at the moment - I think UKIP might see a resurgence from voters returning to them who are pissed off with May not delivering the Brexit they want.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Not so sure on this one at the moment - I think UKIP might see a resurgence from voters returning to them who are pissed off with May not delivering the Brexit they want.

Can't see it personally. There will be those on the right who aren't happy with how Brexit is being implemented, but when push comes to shove those on the right tend to do what has to be done to preserve the status quo and the "greater good" as they see it.

In-fighting and bickering is all well and good, but taking it to the level where it actually loses them power and influence is the domain of the left in all honesty. The left love nothing better than fucking shit up and handing victory on a plate to the right.

• Paid Members

Tory MP Chris Davies charged with making fake expense claims. I know it probably should be in the General Politics thread, but I figured this could potentially affect the Tory majority if he's found guilty and they hold a by-election. Can any of the Welsh posters on here tell me if Brecon & Radnorshire is particularly Tory, or is it a marginal? I would think, being Wales, it would be the latter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chris-davies-tory-charged-expense-invoice-claim-met-police-cps-commons-a8789891.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1pDDZFkT_4UWK-MJt5byJisTVK4VbjCO2qPTMQ7SV74YGh0MN7VlfEhzw#Echobox=1550747462

A Tory MP has been charged with providing false or misleading information for his Commons expenses claims.

Chris Davies, MP for Brecon and Radnorshire, was charged with two counts of forgery and one of providing false or misleading information for allowance claims, the Crown Prosecution Service said. 

The charges relate to allegations that Mr Davies "falsified two invoices in support of parliamentary expenses claims" in 2016, the CPS said.

The MP will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 22 March.

A CPS spokesperson said: “In November 2018, the Crown Prosecution Service received a file of evidence from the Metropolitan Police relating to an allegation that Christopher Davies, MP for Brecon and Radnorshire, falsified two invoices in support of parliamentary expenses claims.

"Following a review of the evidence, the CPS has today charged Mr Davies with two offences of making a false instrument and one offence of providing false or misleading information for allowance claims.

They continued: "The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Davies are now active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings."

Mr Davies, who was elected in 2015 after winning his seat from the Liberal Democrats, was interviewed by police twice last year in relation to the allegations. 

The matter had been referred to the Metropolitan Police's Special Inquiry Team by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa). 

• Paid Members

Looks like it was a Liberal/Conservative marginal until the 2015 Lib Dem collapse.

However, there's no automatic firing of an MP unless it's a jail sentence of a year or more (and even then, not until they've gone through any appeals process.) If it's less than a year, it opens up a petition process where 10% of electors have to sign within a 10-day period to trigger them being thrown out.

• Paid Members

Spoke with noted political mind, my dad — the Labour lot are very principled, but the Tories are anti-democracy snakes. Also, he's heard a lot of Remain voters are so disgusted that even if there was a second referendum, the Leave vote would jump up several points. He's available for QT, or just to rant at people in the pub.

10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Tory MP Chris Davies charged with making fake expense claims. I know it probably should be in the General Politics thread, but I figured this could potentially affect the Tory majority if he's found guilty and they hold a by-election. Can any of the Welsh posters on here tell me if Brecon & Radnorshire is particularly Tory, or is it a marginal? I would think, being Wales, it would be the latter.

It's held by the Lib Dems in the Assembly on (for the moment) the same boundaries as for Westminster elections, but the Conservatives would probably hold it in any Commons by-election. Labour would certainly have no chance.

Mid Wales is not like the Valleys or North East Wales, politically or otherwise.

3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Yeah, Powys is money and farmers. It's tory as fuck there. Newtown brings me out in hives.

Too true, it's gone horridly blue nowadays. Last time I was in Newtown it was still Liberal with a load of Lembit Öpik posters up... but in my defence I was only there for a Welsh Cup semi-final, not for the politics.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

So, what's changed over the last two months? The ChangeUK or The Independent Group, or TINGE, or CUK, or whatever they are called now becoming probably the biggest laughing stock in modern political history. After even more racism issues over the past few days including their top MEP candidate in Scotland being stood down for saying he's scared of black whores and that Gary Glitter should have got away with it, they've now had leaked documents about them trying to destory the lib dems. Never trust a Centrist!

The CUKs are hilarious. I'm going to join.

Edited by PowerButchi