Here comes the money

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

20 years ago today, Shane McMahon became the WWF European Champion. Two decades on, he's a tag team champion. Anyone think of any other examples of that happening? I've got two but both have a massive asterisk.

Pat Patterson was hardcore champion 21 years after being IC Champ but obviously that was a worthless title.

Bret Hart was US Champion 23 years after being a Tag Champ. But that was obviously a bigger nonsense than Shane being the best in the world.

Got two at 19 years off the top of my head. Jeff Hardy was US champ last year and Tag champ in 1999. Billy Gunn was a tag champ in 1995 and 2014.

• Paid Members

Was going to mention Bob Backlund, but it turns out there wasn't that big a gap, even though it seemed like it - first WWWF World title in '78, won his last World title in '94.Ā 

Think unfitfinlay's nomination wins, really.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Triple H was Intercontinental Champion in 1996 and WWE Champion in 2016 for a 20 year gap, if I'm right in thinking 2016 was the year he won the Rumble for the title?

Yeah, nearly that one. 19.5 years between his initial IC title win and dropping the WWE title.

• Paid Members

The Funk Brothers won the NWA Tag Team Titles in 1966, and Terry won the JCW Title in 2005. So that's 39 years, and I'm not convinced Terry hasn't held gold since then either.

Looks like he may have won the 2CW Title in 2011, so that's 45 years between title reigns - beating out even Moolah, though not exactly the most prestigious of belts involved to get there.

PCO (Pierre Carl Ouelett) was WWF tag team champion in 1993 and won the GCW extreme title in 2018 making a 25 year gap.Ā  He could well win gold as part of Villain Enterprises in Ring Of Honor next month which would be 26 years between reigns.

• Paid Members

If we're sticking to "Major" titles, then Funk still has a decent stint between wins, winning the NWA Tag Titles in 1966 and the WCW US Title in 2000, so still managing 34 years there. He actually held the US Title in '75 and again in 2000, so close to 25 years between reigns with the same belt, which might be a non-Moolah record.

If we're talking longest gap between title reigns with none in-between, then it has to be Patterson or Moolah.Ā 

Archived