Regional Dialect Quiz

BomberPat

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
25 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm from Yorkshire. They're baps. A teacake is a fruity bun. It's only if you're from West Yorkshire that you get it wrong. 

My mum's family's from near Huddersfield. Never once heard her or anyone else call them teacakes - only the fruity buns. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, JLM said:

I was born in Hertfordshire, did some growing up in Lancashire, more growing up in Kent, then moved to Merseyside, then back to Hertfordshire and have now found myself in Yorkshire and settled here. My accent and regional dialects make no sense to anyone. I'm too Southern here in Leeds but too Northern when I go back to Maidstone.

Regardless of my multi-regional open-mindedness when it comes to slang, I cannot accept the Yorkshire terminology for baked goods and have been persecuted for my beliefs many times since moving here. Muffins and fairy cakes are not buns and a bread cake is just the names of two baked goods thrown together. It's absurd. 

So what did the map show? I think yours will be fascinating.

Mine:

2019_02_15_16_37_23_The_British_Irish_Dialect_Quiz_The_New_York_Times.jpg.a0589d4db8062f7898c992a90d591cf9.jpg

Fackin' av some of that. Little bit well spoken (hence Hampshire and Cambridge), little bit common. Which just about sums up Hertfordshire to be honest, where I grew up.

I'm from Great Yarmouth. It gave me east Norfolk, which was impressive. But it also gave me Devon. I've spent most of my adult life trying to stop myself sounding like The Singing Postman, but I guess this quiz saw through me.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, lars85 said:

I'm from Great Yarmouth. It gave me east Norfolk, which was impressive. But it also gave me Devon. I've spent most of my adult life trying to stop myself sounding like The Singing Postman, but I guess this quiz saw through me.

Well that does nothing to quell the theory that people from the West Country and Norfolk sound the same!

19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Well that does nothing to quell the theory that people from the West Country and Norfolk sound the same!

I know. I thought it was taking the piss. I can see slight similarities but I've never confused the two. Probably because I was brought up around it. I can see how someone with a more neutral accent might not be able to tell the difference though.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That's not far off for me:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.d33f8b65c232fc970aa23005ebede700.jpg

Our distinctive word for a bread roll did it, assisted by the word for a pathway between two houses. If I hadn't lost the distinctive last syllable on words like 'silly' and 'happy', I think it would've nailed me. I spotted plenty of things which would've clearly identified the region if they applied to me (I have family members who say '(h)ern' instead of 'hers') but we don't all grow up using the exact same features as our relatives.

Saves me mapping it, because my map is essentially identical — sad that I didn't get the chance to call a cob a cop, or a twitchell a twitchell, but playing dobbie in the playground literally narrowed the map down to the right end of our street and no-where else.

Born in Bristol, spent most of my living memory on the Somerset coast, but grandparents left influences from further afield. Clearly 3 years on the Menai Strait and 10 months in Sussex didn't have any effect (or it's since worn off). Apparently calling a playground chase game 'tig' means I come from somewhere around Fife though... 🤔

S6Yh4lD.png

Archived