Regional Dialect Quiz

BomberPat

• Paid Members

I just completed this, as accurately as I could based on how I speak now, and it pretty accurately nailed the region I grew up in, despite having not lived there for 19 years. I blame Bob Mortimer for the infringing Middlesborough, though.

So, is it tig or tag, a splinter or a spelk, a bun or a barm cake? Do you give your mates a backy or a croggy, do you call tap water "council pop" (what?), and do you call a snail a shellakybooky (if so, are you mental?)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

dialect.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to Chrome fucking up, no screengrab. Mine showed mostly West Country, with some Kent coast...which fits my family history (father's side from Somerset, mother's from Surrey. Father also was ex-Navy). So despite being a born and bred Pompey boy, pretty accurate.

• Paid Members

North Wales lad, now living in Preston so that's eerily specific (although it thinks i'm nearer up towards Barrow and Freebird country!!! :( )

Edit: Not happy about the lack of Nain and Taid for grandparents names though

image.png.d4ea50d7fe2bbb8a00cb61bd928e474c.png

• Paid Members

That's not far off for me:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.d33f8b65c232fc970aa23005ebede700.jpg

Our distinctive word for a bread roll did it, assisted by the word for a pathway between two houses. If I hadn't lost the distinctive last syllable on words like 'silly' and 'happy', I think it would've nailed me. I spotted plenty of things which would've clearly identified the region if they applied to me (I have family members who say '(h)ern' instead of 'hers') but we don't all grow up using the exact same features as our relatives.

• Paid Members

I was born in Hertfordshire, did some growing up in Lancashire, more growing up in Kent, then moved to Merseyside, then back to Hertfordshire and have now found myself in Yorkshire and settled here. My accent and regional dialects make no sense to anyone. I'm too Southern here in Leeds but too Northern when I go back to Maidstone.

Regardless of my multi-regional open-mindedness when it comes to slang, I cannot accept the Yorkshire terminology for baked goods and have been persecuted for my beliefs many times since moving here. Muffins and fairy cakes are not buns and a bread cake is just the names of two baked goods thrown together. It's absurd. 

Archived