Is David Platt massively underrated as a footballer?

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Yes. 

I don't think anyone else scored for England between 92-95, and he was part of a Sampdoria team from 93-94 which I'd let run a train on a family member. In the hole behind Mancini and Gullit. Cock hardening stuff. That team is why Sampdoria is my 2nd team after the mighty Wrexham. 

And he didn't score bad goals either. 27 from 62 caps From midfield is a hell of a record. But he rarely gets talked about. Why is that? 

• Paid Members

I loved a bit of David Platt when I was a kid, remember seeing him on Football Italia and thinking he was great. So as an Arsenal fan I was bloody delighted when we signed him, and he was excellent for us in the early days of the Wenger reign. Really underrated.

• Paid Members

Platty wasn't a flair player to capture the imagination like a Gascoigne, Waddle or Hoddle but he was extremely consistent. I think he probably would've been more promiment in people's minds on the back of Italia 90 (particularly that goal in the 120th minute against Belgium) had he not disappeared from the domestic game by transferring to Bari.

5 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Have I imagined it, or did David Platt once score an overhead kick that was disallowed as the final whistle went before it crossed the line?

I'm pretty sure it was half time but it definitely happened. 

My brother supports Villa because he loved watching Platt for England. Fantastic player, he did great at Arsenal (my team) and will probably best be remembered by our fans for that great headed winner against Man Utd. 

• Paid Members

When I first started really getting into football, I think he had just taken over as England captain from Lineker, so as far as I was concerned he was one of the best. I was absolutely elated when him and Bergkamp signed around the same time.

I mean, look at Bruce Rioch. Bet he felt like he'd won the lottery that week. I wonder if he really knew he was just a seat-warmer for a while until a certain someone could take over.

platt_rioch_bergkamp.jpg?itok=86VfksEH

Platty was great for Arsenal in those few seasons. The 98 Double winning season he was brilliant coming on and steadying the midfield. He had reverted to more of a defensive midfielder. The FA Cup final when we were under the cosh (don't get excited Neeson) he was excellent in that second half. Also that header against United was a bit special.

Massively underrated though. . As someone mentioned he was overshadowed by Gazza really (unfairly I think)

On Bruce Rioch, the moment he decided to go to war with Wrighty he was finished. Only one winner there.

Shortly after moving to a trendy part of Manchester, I went to get my beautiful hair cut at a new hairdressers.  The chap cutting my hair was good with colours and didn't follow football but he said that someone from Citeh was in the salon the day before.  Instantly I pondered if I was sat in the same seat that Balotelli was sat in not 24 hours before.  When I asked which player it was that I could brag about how I share a hairdresser with, the puddle jumping stylist thought about it and said "Mr Platt?  Think it was David?"

I was a bit deflated, to be honest.

• Paid Members

My ever lasting memory of David Platt is this: 

mizuno-david-platt.jpg

It daubed the inside of the back of Match for a whole season,  and what was worse was the giant sized billboard variants littered around Wolverhampton with this giant sized, slightly down syndrome looking, Villa hero gurning down on us all. 

The goal against Belgium was long forgotten with this daily torment forced upon me. 

Archived