Was Will Smith ever any good?

Bellenda Carlisle

Was Will Smith ever good?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Do you think big Willie was ever great? I agree with D Mal in never having got his appeal but he seems to be a hero to loads of people my age, or at least has been at various points. He certainly always seems to have thought highly of himself. I do think Men in Black was a perfect storm where his awful 90s mainstream rap sensibilities worked perfectly with that film but generally I'd give him a big thumbs down.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A combination of pushing his weird kids and the fact that he cannot pick a decent film to be in have really diluted him. The Scientology shit also left a stink. Its weird because Will comes across as a genuinely nice bloke, but the rest of his family seem batshit and far removed from him (or at least the public persona of Will Smith)

It seemed that around Ali time he really could push on into great actor territory, but he's made some awful missteps. He certainly can act, but he really needs a good role and soon.

• Moderators

Great in comedy, terrible at drama. Remember that emotional scene in Fresh Prince where his real dad abandons him and he cries? He has continued to pull the same cry face ever since, every time a scene calls for any serious dramatic acting.

Obviously a total dummy irl, too, that takes himself super seriously.

• Paid Members

D-Mal definitely has a point, because he's never been in a truly great film - despite trying his hardest by doing that crying face. However, there was a time when his films were at least good fun.

He's not made a film worth your time for over ten years now, which is pretty staggering considering how many goes he's had. Probably no coincidence it's timed perfectly with him proper outing himself as an insufferable dolt, as he's gotten older.

• Paid Members

He's done the odd good thing. I never thought Fresh Prince was any good at all and I think I only watched it for Hilary.

He should just throw himself into being a full-time action star. He's good in that genre. Anything else, he's absolute crap. Plus, it's not as if his action back catalogue is flawless - Bad Boys 2 and Bright are pitiful. But he has a better conversion rate there than anywhere else.

By and large though, he's not a terribly good actor who thinks he's far better than he is, leading him to take roles way out of his league.

• Paid Members
Just now, LEGIT said:

Wtf Gladders man? I honestly though you had taste. 

It's not though. I think many people who watched it back now would wonder to themselves what they saw in it in the first place.

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

It's not though. I think many people who watched it back now would wonder to themselves what they saw in it in the first place.

I watched it back a year or so ago when Comedy Central repeated it. I was doubled over on the living room floor in stitches, in agony, it was hilarious. Do yourself a favour and watch the pool hall episode.

It admittedly got worse towards the end. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I think you're being very generous there

z7iKllo.png

I'd say the highlighted off his greatest hits plus Boom! Shake the Room (why the fuck isn't that on there?!) were excellent singles. 

Archived