Sign in to follow this  
Loki

Your Oldest Website Bookmark

Jumping off the back of that insane website, thread...

What's the oldest still-working website that you have bookmarked?  What hidden corner of the internet do you still have access to?

Mine is this link from when I used to play Elite: Frontier back in 1999 or so, there were various websites about Elite and its sequels and this was one of them that I used to visit.

http://www.planetmic.com/orbit/fe-pl.htm

Amazingly still hosted although not updated in 15 years essentially.

I just found a bookmark to an old ftp site containing a whole lot of The KLF media, it still works and was all uploaded in 1997.

I still read a couple of webcomics - PVP and Penny Arcade which I've had bookmarked since 99, Something Awful.com probably since probably 2000, and probably most embarrassingly.... LordsofPain.net since 98.

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I just found a bookmark to an old ftp site containing a whole lot of The KLF media, it still works and was all uploaded in 1997.

Can you find a way of sneaking them onto Spotify per chance??

6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Can you find a way of sneaking them onto Spotify per chance??

Ha, a few people have tried in the past. I know The JAMs were on there for a while.

I don't use bookmarks, ever. I type three letters of the url and the address bar auto completes for me. I don't go to a varied enough number of sites to need bookmarks in my personal life. Work, completely different matter.

12 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I don't use bookmarks, ever. I type three letters of the url and the address bar auto completes for me. 

So you just type POR into the search bar and go to the site you want.

Just now, Rey_Piste said:

So you just type POR into the search bar and go to the site you want.

Or Boo.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I don't use bookmarks, ever. I type three letters of the url and the address bar auto completes for me. I don't go to a varied enough number of sites to need bookmarks in my personal life. Work, completely different matter.

I have to be quite careful when trying to access the Sporting Life website to check times of horse races around people... 

I've changed computers many times since '99, and now I rarely keep any bookmarks at all, but I do vividly remember my first slew of bookmarks included the likes of StickDeath.com and SteakAndCheese.com. Because I was thirteen years old, you know.