The Perfect Sitcom Episode

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Mark and Jez stuck in the Nether Zone in Series 7 of Peep Show is comedy perfection. Everything about that episode cracks me up. By the time the pizza gets delivered through the letter box, I'm in tears every time. 

I think Cheers has a few perfect episodes too, the penultimate episode might be my favourite (and the finale overall) and also has one of my favourite punchlines to a joke ever.

'So, you like Chinese food?'

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

26346.jpg

'Gas' is my favourite but this is the winner. Even with the custardy pants competition.

I personally would go with 'Smells'. You have Foxy Stoat, flavours of johnnies in the pub loo and one of the greatest opening lines to any TV show:

Yes, what happened there? I made all the right moves, I winked, I smiled, one of my nice ones as well. I put on my special eyes, leant forward very nicely and said "Hello, big tits, looking for some action?"

• Paid Members

Another Sunny in Philadelphia nomination and I'm going for the Nightman Cometh episode. 

The songs, Mac's cat eyes and sweet sweet karate moves across the stage, Dennis getting bummed and Charlie coming down as the Dayman at the end. The perfect episode of IASIP.

The-Nightman-Cometh.gif

There are so many Sunny episodes I could choose. One of the contenders for me would be 'The Gang Tries Desperately To Win An Award'. All the jokes that are sly digs at The Emmys and the like for their lack of awards or even nominations, the mocking of other shows like Big Bang Theory and that brilliant Randy Newman-esque song that Charlie writes as a theme tune for the bar

The "Blue Rat" episode of 15 Storeys High is my choice, it's not just Vince losing his mind drinking too much eastern european energy drink that's amazing but Errol beind wound up at his new job, starting with being the guy that the fishmongers wipe their bloody hands on.

Sean Lock's probably dead comfortable being the panel show guy, he's the best one around but I sure miss his sitcom writing/acting.

Oh and the Catterick episode in the garden center, magical stuff.

• Paid Members

I'll put forward two more episodes of Only Fools which were both shown on Gold today, both are from Series 3 and both feature single-episode storylines which build to brilliantly crafted finishes. You could watch these episodes with no previous knowledge of the series or the characters and they would be just as funny, the storytelling is just fantastic. First up was Healthy Competition, in which Rodney splits from Del to go into business with Mickey Pierce and the pair buy a load of broken lawnmower engines at auction, and next was May The Force Be With You, the one where Detective Inspector Slater investigates the theft of a microwave. 

12 hours ago, Wretch said:

Another Sunny in Philadelphia nomination and I'm going for the Nightman Cometh episode. 

The songs, Mac's cat eyes and sweet sweet karate moves across the stage, Dennis getting bummed and Charlie coming down as the Dayman at the end. The perfect episode of IASIP.

The-Nightman-Cometh.gif

Aaaaaa-aaaaaaaah...

11 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Any episode from Blackadder The Third gets my vote, but particular light should be shed on episode one; Dish & Dishonesty. Television perfection in comedy form. Bags of wit and character and still incredibly funny.

maxresdefault.jpg

I caught this the other night when struggling to find something to watch (too much choice). The stereotypical candidates, the ridiculous robes and Colin make it one of my favourites. The jokes and puns come thick and fast and it highlights Blackadder at his best.

People often rate goes forth and Blackadder 2 as the best but Blackadder the third has some comedy gold. Stephen Fry as Wellington slapping the shit out of the Prince regent is something I will never tire of seeing.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Wideload90 said:

People often rate goes forth and Blackadder 2 as the best but Blackadder the third has some comedy gold. Stephen Fry as Wellington slapping the shit out of the Prince regent is something I will never tire of seeing.

Blackadder The Third is the best, no doubt, followed by Goes Forth and then the Second as a trailing runner-up. We won't mention the awful first series though as it's pretty drek. 

Archived