Which was better - WWECW or ECW

Devon Malcolm

WWECW or ECW  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In all honesty I fall into the category of I've seen all the best bits from the orig ECW and the worst bits from the remake (I was never really watching at that time bar the odd clip.) I think loads others will fall into that category too. So I can't really form an honest comparison between them. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did Scratch, including one at the old ECW Arena. Honestly, these shows fascinate me. Look at the line up for that event:

The FBI vs. Danny Doring & Roadkill

CM Punk vs. Stevie Richards (Punk entered to his ROH theme by AFI, incidentally. This was before his ECW TV debut)

Francine won an extreme bikini contest over Kelly and Trinity.

Mike Knox vs. Balls Mahoney

Sabu defeated CW Anderson

Sandman pinned Justin Credible with the White Russian Legsweep in a Dueling Canes match.

ECW Title: Rob Van Dam vs. Kurt Angle with Dean Malenko as the special referee.

There was also a segment where Heyman came out to chants of “This show sucks”. He did a promo, then Dreamer did one too, and then Big Show came out and choke slammed him. 

Clearly at some point, however brief, there WAS an intent to be close to the “old” ECW. Shockingly, the ECW fans couldn’t accept even minimal sacrifices.

• Moderators

During that period Brad Armstrong was hired to wrestle for ECW on the road. The greatest decision ever made by an ECW with Heyman involvement. He should have gone on to TV and been champion, easily the greatest ECW would ever have to that point.

WWE's version was better. The original ECW was a massive load of shite, which was a bitter disappointment to an adolescent me finally watching it after seeing write-ups and photos for years in PowerSlam. Because PowerSlam's photos were always pretty crap across the board, I expected the actual ECW presentation to be on par with the WWF and WCW. It was such a letdown to see how low-rent it was.

ECW for me by a country mile.
I was 12-13 when I saw pictures and read reports from shows in Powerslam magazine and, having only been exposed to WWF and WCW at the time, it was so different to anything I had seen before or was watching currently that I HAD to check it out.
I bought some ECW tapes through a trader [N2R 1995 and Hardcore Heaven 1995] and was blown away - swearing, blood, tables, fans handing wrestlers weapons, brawling in the crowd, characters the likes of which I had never seen before [Sandman smokes AND drinks beer!?]...and, hang on, they wrestle in grimy bingo halls and bars?!.... all things that we maybe take for granted now but, to me anyway, were SO different back then.

Watching it back now in my late 30's it's great nostalgia - I can obviously see the flaws and the product became a shadow of itself by 98/99 - but it takes me back to when I was a teenager and anything that was more 'edgy' and 'counter-culturally' was instantly the coolest thing EVER even if now it looks naff and you find yourself going 'what was I thinking?'. It is the 'curtains haircut' of pro wrestling. 

Wasn't the original idea for Shane to run WWECW as a way for him to learn the ropes of how to run everything? (with Paul E and him working on booking together) But Vince couldn't let go and ended up all over it. Odd as Triple H now gets free reign over NXT

WWECW by a mile. Remember buying Heatwave 2000 on VHS in HMV as a teenager, and being shocked at how crap the commentary was.  The overall shitness of the presentation was a surprise too, especially after reading in Power Slam about how great ECW was. For a lad raised on Vince's production values there was no way I could take it seriously.

WWECW was great though. Gave us the rise of Miz, Punk, Sheamus and the likes of Goldust, Bob Holly Regal and Christian teaching the inexperienced lads how to work. Also saw them try to  get dullards like Paul Burchill, Kevin Thorn, Vance Archer, Elijah Burke and Big Zeke over, which I always am up for.

Plus, bandana Vince as ECW champion was a riot. And all the lads cheque's cashed every week, something BO Heyman can't say for his time in charge of ECW.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, Factotum said:

Wasn't the original idea for Shane to run WWECW as a way for him to learn the ropes of how to run everything? (with Paul E and him working on booking together) But Vince couldn't let go and ended up all over it. Odd as Triple H now gets free reign over NXT

That is nothing more than public perception. Vince is heavily involved in NXT. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, DCW said:

WWECW by a mile. Remember buying Heatwave 2000 on VHS in HMV as a teenager, and being shocked at how crap the commentary was.  The overall shitness of the presentation was a surprise too, especially after reading in Power Slam about how great ECW was. For a lad raised on Vince's production values there was no way I could take it seriously.

yeh, id imagine the production values were make or break for some people. I loved the grimey feel though, back that up on 5th generation VHS tapes and that was what ECW was all about. The clean looking Network versions look all wrong to my eyes.

The problem is most UK wrestling fans never actually got to see ECW as it was actually happening while in its prime. For example while ECW where presenting never before seen acts to most fans, Like Sabu, The Cruiserweights, The Sandman gimmick, the rock music, the catfights etc....WWF and WCW were both presenting a pretty stale product. 

I imagine most wrestling fans if they caught a glimpse of it while happening would have thought it was pretty cool. 

By the time it became available readily over here WWF were already doing what ECW were doing previously but bigger and better, so ECW probably looked pretty lame in comparission. 

Overall i much preferred ECW to WWECW . It was pretty original and did heavily influence the way wrestling was presented for the 90s and gave us some cracking angles and matchups. 

Archived