Half a year

tiger_rick

11 hours ago, air_raid said:

Steve Austin was an easy scrub from the PPV portion of SummerSlam 96. In February 97 he's won the Rumble, goes on last at the PPV and his feud is the company's hottest storyline heading into WrestleMania.

I've re-watched Raw's from 96 recently. Love his transition from The Ringmaster to Stone Cold.

There was slight changes every week. Green to black trunks then Buzz cut to shaved bald. McMahon on commentary calling him a "Stone Cold individual". Then just being allowed to run wild with the microphone and the brawling style.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Winston said:

I've re-watched Raw's from 96 recently. Love his transition from The Ringmaster to Stone Cold.

There was slight changes every week. Green to black trunks then Buzz cut to shaved bald. McMahon on commentary calling him a "Stone Cold individual". Then just being allowed to run wild with the microphone and the brawling style.

My favourite mindfuck in wrestling history might be remembering watching Stunning Steve on Worldwide and the idea that someone might tell me "one day this will be the biggest star on the planet." A crisp worker with a mean streak and that hint of malice in his eyes but... Stunning Steve will be WWF Champion one day? Really?

Becky Lynch - WM34 April 8 2108 - First woman to the ring in the Womens Battle Royal, eliminated halfway through it

Nov 2018 - Invades Raw as one of the biggest name in the business. (ok so its 7 months).

King Kong Bundy - One PPV he's headlining against Hogan on the biggest show ever (at that point in time), next PPV hes facing Hillbilly Jim and the midgets

On 2/5/2019 at 12:10 PM, Sheffbag said:

King Kong Bundy - One PPV he's headlining against Hogan on the biggest show ever (at that point in time), next PPV hes facing Hillbilly Jim and the midgets

Although people always bring this up, and yes it was an entirely different match, don't judge Bundy on that. He would've made a decent whack being at WMIII - especially when there were stars who never even made the cut (Kamala who had not been long headlining against Hogan on the houseshow circuit)

And a few months later Bundy was in the main event against Hogan for the title on Saturday Night's Main Event and the main match at the first Survivor Series.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, air_raid said:

JBL winning the belt from Eddy was the worst thing I'd ever seen. He'd been such a loser for 8 years that the suspension of disbelief that he could earn a title shot was off the scale. The title bouncing around between Angle and Lesnar at their level of star and performance meant it was gigantic for Eddy to win it and take that step up ; an Acolyte winning it made it virtually worthless and I always wish that Cena's launchpad could have been winning his first title from an actual main eventer.

See, I was a fairly new wrestling fan at the time so JBL’s sudden assencion...we’ll...didn’t feel all that sudden to me. At the time I thought he was the most nefarious bad guy in wrestling and I loved the character. I still do to be honest, and I enjoyed his run as champ.

I do wonder how I’d feel if I watch him through the same lens as long time fans who had more knowledge of not just his past, but the concepts of championship prestige and card placement.

Jinder is probably the closest example from my time as a fan, but he didn’t have particularly strong mic skills, ring skills or much going for him in general, so there was never any prospect of me enjoying his run in a similar way.

• Paid Members

The thing that made it so abrupt with JBL was that he was Bradshaw one week, then JBL and thrust into the main event the next. There was no time to allow people to grow accustomed to that gimmick before he got thrown into the title feud.

It's odd - they were definitely seeing Bradshaw as a potential top guy before then; he got a weird singles push in the early days of the brand split, teamed with Steve Austin against the nWo a few times, and was being reinvented as a Stan Hansen tribute act, but they never seemed to fully commit until JBL, and then went from 0 to 100 in five seconds.

• Paid Members

Bradshaw's title win and reign were booked brilliantly. I don't think any of his successful defences were clean, which I know in that wrestling climate made him look "weak" but was chickenshit heel 101.

11 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Although people always bring this up, and yes it was an entirely different match, don't judge Bundy on that. He would've made a decent whack being at WMIII - especially when there were stars who never even made the cut (Kamala who had not been long headlining against Hogan on the houseshow circuit)

And a few months later Bundy was in the main event against Hogan for the title on Saturday Night's Main Event and the main match at the first Survivor Series.

Agreed but Butch Reed was also in the SS match as well so not really a massive headliner filled team 

I take your point though

Archived