Half a year

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Six months can be like a lifetime in wrestling. Give us your examples where a guy changed drastically for the better or worse, excluding real life tragedy.

I'll set a benchmark. DDP. Autumn 1996, he's a midcarder who has been working without gaining traction for about five years. Spring of 1997, he's turning down the nWo, he's about to beat Savage, his cutter is over like rover and he's massively popular as a man of the people.

• Paid Members

Steve Austin was an easy scrub from the PPV portion of SummerSlam 96. In February 97 he's won the Rumble, goes on last at the PPV and his feud is the company's hottest storyline heading into WrestleMania.

• Paid Members

Dean Ambrose returning in August looking the business, becoming an instant favourite for The Royal Rumble win and a main event match at Wrestlemania.

By January he's a germaphobe jobber who gets arse injections, on his way out of the company, spending his remaining dates pissing about doing spots from HBK's performance at Summerslam 2005.

• Paid Members

I always go back to 1996 when I think of this subject. That Mania to Survivor Series period, when Bret Hart disappeared. Bret was only gone six months in 1996. It was April when he had that pre-taped interview about how shit everything was and how he might retire but wont go to WCW. And in October he returned to the WWF. It felt like about 2 years considering how different wrestling was when he came back.

Piper was WWF Commissioner and by the time Bret returned, Piper was gearing up for his Starrcade match with Hogan. At WrestleMania 12, the Hulkster and the Nacho Man died in the pre-show. By October, Hogan and Savage were killing the WWF on PPV at Halloween Havoc. In April, the Dungeon of Doom were still running wild. By October the nWo were on top.

There's a million more examples that year, but its amazing how different things were.

• Awards Moderator

Bradshaw. Beginning of 2004, feeling like a relic in the APA as part of the SmackDown undercard losing to the likes of Scotty 2 Hotty. Mid-2004, WWE Champion.

You could shorten that to three months, to be honest. As bad as Jinder; arguably worse because the WWE Title still held meaning (to me, anyway) at that point. 

November 2002 - Scott Steiner rolls into Survivor Series and takes the fucking mike.

January 2003 - After his 7th consecutive suplex, Scott Steiner needs to use the ropes to pull himself up off the canvas.

March 2003 - Scott Steiner doesn't make Wrestlemania.

---

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I always go back to 1996 when I think of this subject. That Mania to Survivor Series period, when Bret Hart disappeared. Bret was only gone six months in 1996. It was April when he had that pre-taped interview about how shit everything was and how he might retire but wont go to WCW. And in October he returned to the WWF. It felt like about 2 years considering how different wrestling was when he came back.

Piper was WWF Commissioner and by the time Bret returned, Piper was gearing up for his Starrcade match with Hogan. At WrestleMania 12, the Hulkster and the Nacho Man died in the pre-show. By October, Hogan and Savage were killing the WWF on PPV at Halloween Havoc. In April, the Dungeon of Doom were still running wild. By October the nWo were on top.

There's a million more examples that year, but its amazing how different things were.

Great point this. WCW's turnaround is remarkable. The Nitro where Scott Hall debuted is excrutiatingly bad because they don't have anything there to run a two hour show. Within months, you've got the brilliance of early nWo, Hogan/Savage story, the Horsemen, the cruisers, the mortal kombat crew - actually forget that last one. From an overload of Dungeon of Doom and jobbers everywhere, they've suddenly got this roster that is incredible. The funny thing is though that they run it into the ground and by 1999, you've still got all your Mike Enos types stinking up Nitro every week.

The WWF ran at an incredible pace back then. Ian pointed out 1996.Then you compare that Autumn of 1996 to post mania as the Hart Foundation form and Austin comes to prominence and it's night and day. Then the red hot US/Canada summer compared to late December after Bret has gone is a remarkable change again. Then six months later we've had Tyson/Austin, Taker/Kane, HBK's gone, there's a new DX, X-Pac is back and is the most under-rated guy on the planet, Rock's leading the Nation, the mid-card is smut, smut, smut. It's astonishing.

it's easy to see why people pine for that when you compare it to now and you've got featured guys who haven't had a haircut or a change of trunks in 7 years.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

As bad as Jinder; arguably worse because the WWE Title still held meaning (to me, anyway) at that point. 

JBL winning the belt from Eddy was the worst thing I'd ever seen. He'd been such a loser for 8 years that the suspension of disbelief that he could earn a title shot was off the scale. The title bouncing around between Angle and Lesnar at their level of star and performance meant it was gigantic for Eddy to win it and take that step up ; an Acolyte winning it made it virtually worthless and I always wish that Cena's launchpad could have been winning his first title from an actual main eventer.

3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

JBL winning the belt from Eddy was the worst thing I'd ever seen. He'd been such a loser for 8 years that the suspension of disbelief that he could earn a title shot was off the scale. The title bouncing around between Angle and Lesnar at their level of star and performance meant it was gigantic for Eddy to win it and take that step up ; an Acolyte winning it made it virtually worthless and I always wish that Cena's launchpad could have been winning his first title from an actual main eventer.

Yeah have to agree with that.

I look at the difference in the title wins at Mania 21 with Batista & Cena, one cries out a new star has arrived whilst the other was played out in the mid card, to very little reaction.

51 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's easy to see why people pine for that when you compare it to now and you've got featured guys who haven't had a haircut or a change of trunks in 7 years.

Remember when Orton started wearing elbow pads? Eh? EH? 

• Paid Members

How about Bulldog? In August 92 he goes on last at a full Wembley for the WWF and wins (reports vary on whether he wanted to or not). In February 93 he's in WCW. And not good WCW, 1993 WCW.

Archived