Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

First Wrestlemania I haven't watched (cancelled my subscription duringĀ the Crown Jewel thing), but read up online and saw some clips, and it looks like it was pretty feel-good (if lo-o-o-ong).

One question - John Cena was in a Babe Ruth Yankees top? Doesn't Cena hate the Yankees to the point of punching CM Punk for comparing him to them?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A year ago, when Daniel Bryan came out for his first match back after being sidelined with potential brain damage, imagine someone saying to you, "oneĀ of the greatest moments and biggest cheers on next year's show will be this guy literally getting his head stomped on continuously."

Wrestling is mad.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

First Wrestlemania I haven't watched (cancelled my subscription duringĀ the Crown Jewel thing), but read up online and saw some clips, and it looks like it was pretty feel-good (if lo-o-o-ong).

One question - John Cena was in a Babe Ruth Yankees top? Doesn't Cena hate the Yankees to the point of punching CM Punk for comparing him to them?

it's a gimmick brother

Ā 

• Paid Members

This is the year that didnt seem like a Hall of Fame. DX was just a comedy skit. A good one, mind you. Brutus Beefcake looked like he was auditioning for a role in a remake of the show Derek. Bruti cant string a fucking sentence together, so doing a speech was never going to work. He always comes off like a 5 year old trying to cut a promo with his wrestling figures. Honky wore his gimmick and then sang his entrance song. The whole thing felt like the Slammy Awards from the 80s. Torrie and Harlem Heat werent much to write home about, especially when Booker kept looking at his watch to take it home. The only one that really felt like a real induction was the Hart Foundation, and even that had a run in. I used to be able to watch these Hall of Fame's from start to finish, but the Network era has really killed it. The 2014 one was the best one since 2004, but since then, there's been to many Hillbilly Jims, Rikishis and Larrys to enjoy them. It peaked at Mr T to be honest. I remember seeing Austin's head tilt back belly laughing throughout it, and thought wrestling might as well end there. It was as good as its ever going to get.

Ultimate Dana Hellwig's vanity project of a complete mentalist is tiresome. This woman is just the worst. Worse than the Michael Jackson.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Ultimate Dana Hellwig's vanity project of a complete mentalist is tiresome. This woman is just the worst. Worse than the Michael Jackson.

You're talking about a WWE writer there. She could be the next Freddy Prinze Jr.

Seriously, I can't get my head around her being brought in to join the creative team. The whole Dana/WWE relationship is weird as fuck, she must have evidence of Vince getting ol' Jim on the gas just before his death or something. They hated Warrior for years to the extend that they released a DVD burying him throughout, and yet now they name an inspirational award in honour of the Mexican-hating lunatic and give it to terminally ill fans. It's grim.

• Awards Moderator
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I read that the HOF was better this year because of the shorter speeches. Stuck it on the Network- 3 hours 15 mins. Nope.

Put it on while I was cooking. Only the DX bit is worth watching which starts about half an hour before the end. Trips ripping on the "too sweet" hilarious, plus his dig on AEW.Ā 

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Put it on while I was cooking. Only the DX bit is worth watching which starts about half an hour before the end. Trips ripping on the "too sweet" hilarious, plus his dig on AEW.Ā 

My other half watched the entirety of Sue Aitchison's speech and even sat through some of Harlem Heat's, but the second D-X came out in their suits acting like a bunch of Old Lads she went "nope" and that was the end of the Hall Of Fame for me. What did Triple H say about Too Sweet? Whatever it was, he's right.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What did Triple H say about Too Sweet? Whatever it was, he's right.

"You're all cunts." *

Ā 

* May not have been his exact words.

• Paid Members

Just in case anyone was in any doubt about what Becky thought the finish should've been, check out her Twitter layout.

image.thumb.png.4c108703fa0dfa49247d9b5fa67b1bac.png

I can't wait for them to finally have the proper match.

Now that the dust has settled and we can judge it as a whole, is there anyone who doesn't think adding Charlotte to the main event was a huge misstep?

Not only did Charlotte's involvement make for a muddled, over-complicated feud that cooled Becky off significantly, but she didn't particularly add to the match quality either. Everyone originally defending it was saying that the match itself would be improved by having her in it but that Triple Threat can't gold a candle to some of the belting singles matches these girls have had. Becky vs. Charlotte at Evolution and Ronda vs. Charlotte at Survivor Series were infinitely superior for being a straight fight rather than an exercise in coming up with clever three-way spots and fresh ways to keep throwing someone to the floor for a bit. Charlotte also wasn't involved in the finish and the only time the crowd made any noise was when it was just Becky and Ronda alone. She felt just as out of place in the match itself as she had done in the build up.

I know they wanted her in there so that they can bang on forever about her being a part of history, but is that really worth it? Imagine if they'd gone with the natural matches of Ronda vs. Becky and Charlotte vs. Asuka at Wrestlemania instead? Not only would the feuds and matches have likely been a hundred times more enjoyable but I think Charlotte could've come across far better walking out as Smackdown Champion rather than as an afterthought. For as incredible as that helicopter entrance was, imagine if we also saw her returning to the helicopter and flying off with the blue belt after beating Asuka again? Magic.

The only real positive I can think of for having Charlotte involved in all this was that having three women rather than two in that brilliant go-home angle with the cops made it more fun. Other than that I think they're going to look back on this as the mistake most people predicted, harming both the angle, the match and arguably Charlotte herself. I mean, where does she even go now?

Cant wait for Becky/Ronda either, just please don't do it at Mania next year, it deserves to go on last with a crowd that cares.

I personally thought the triple threat was just a huge tired mess, with a horrible finish. Easily in the worst 5 Mania main events for me which is a shame looking at the talent involved.

I still haven't watched the match, just seen the end. I was mad at the finish because the commentary and replays suggested they were working an angle. I thought Ronda was gonna come to Raw the next night and dispute the finish, continuing the worky shoot stuff the angle was leaning into. It looks like her shoulder being up was a genuine botch though. I'm cool with that. Its certainly not WCW shit. I would've liked a bit more of a decisive pinfall, but I get what they were going for.

Becky was never tapping out Ronda Rousey. Not in a million years. If Rousey is ever getting tapped it's to Charlotte Flair, no one else.

Ronnie leaving is such a blow to the division. Hope she comes back sooner than later.

Ā 

Ā 

• Awards Moderator

Off the back of that timeline @JNListerĀ posted about WrestleMania lengths I watched WrestleMania 31 because I was struggling to remember which one that was. This has the Triple H / Steph v Rock / Ronda showdown. Ronda is clearly marking out behind her tough face but she's having a great time and is undeniably a star. Crazy it takes another three years to get to her in-ring debut!

Good to see Shayna Baszler (now there's someone being reduced to one name) cheering like a schoolgirl on the sidelines too.Ā 

Archived