Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Credit @wrestlenomics:

D3tuk9PWkAAcBQ6.png

2015 ended with lots of people calling it an all-time great show and nobody complaining it was too long. 2016 ended with a half hour Undertaker-Shane McMahon match, Baron Corbin in a battle royale, an unadvertised Rock squash and the crowd booing 27 minutes of HHH-Reigns.

If you look back at both the crowd response and the stuff at the tail end of the shows over the years, it's very clear that four hours (with limited pre-show matches) is the hard limit not just for holding the crowd's attention, but for putting a card together without excessive filler or unnecessarily long matches.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I'm pissed off with how nobody is truly allowed to become a megastar. With the exception of the usual suspects, it's just all treading water and trading wins for no better reason than 'just because'.

Which is why Lesnar has been so brilliant in places because he's been allowed to look near-unbeatable. Seth beating him as decisively as he did - and Brock laying flat on his back selling while Rollins waved the belt around - was a great piece of business but now they need to build on it properly and have Seth be a real champion and main event guy. No non title losses and looking anything less than undisputed top guy by at least SummerSlam. I know this pisses on the idea of "unpredictability" being a big plus in today's TV but what your Hogan, Steve Austin and John Cena all had in common as top babyface (and Roman Reigns has never been afforded) is that they either seldom lost on TV or always rebounded DECISIVELY to put the heel back in their place and re-establish themselves as the top of the totem pole. Seth since his injury hasn't been presented as a former main eventer back to where he was, but they've got a second chance now. Don't fuck it up. Rollins VS Reigns could be huge if they save it til SummerSlam, remind us constantly of their history with each other and with Lesnar, parallels of losing the title without getting beaten in the ring etc, and keep Seth strong i.e. make him THE MAN (n. Becky) until they want to cast doubt that Reigns could knock him off.

It's not hard. Have two guys presented as on the same level, created genuine intrigue as to who might win, then hold the match. You just have to have some balls to make sure those guys are shown to be better than everyone else, even if its only for 4-5 months.

• Paid Members

Maybe it was the lack of sleep combined with being pissed as a fart, but for the first 10 seconds of that baseball video package I was convinced it was CM Punk returning. Then my mate told me to stop being a twat and I came to my senses.

• Paid Members

John Cena was really good at Mania. He gave that crowd exactly what they wanted. A real feel good Mania. When a show is 32 hours long, its hard to give it anything put a thumbs in the middle. So much I just had to leave out, because I cant be giving away all those hours for WWE. I could be wanking or watching Classic Eastenders on drama instead.

I like how we're now in a world where wrestlers wear hats to hide their hair, as opposed to hiding their bald spot. Cena's cap was like the Hogan/Savage bandana.

• Paid Members

I'm so fucking dumb, that it took me ages (like a day) for it to click with me that Cena had come out to his old music and in his old gear. I didn't even watch it live, I'm just a knackered man. 

3 hours ago, King Coconut said:

I had to turn it off already when Hogan came out. That prick has now officially killed wrestling for me. Prick. 

I love Hogan. I’m not going to let the actions of the dickhead actor that plays the Hogan character ruin it for me.

• Paid Members

I mean, it's fairly weird moaning about WWE giving us so much for our money, but still that show would have probably been really great if they cut out an hour or so of very average content. Kofi/Bryan, Shane/Miz and Batista/Triple H are all worth your time, but as a whole, the best bits were weighed down by hours and hours of tedium. Personally, I thought it was nearly a full hour into the show before it started getting good. They could have cut at least 4 matches off that card and it would have significantly improved the overall quality.

Just watched it, skipped about half i reckon.

The highlight unquestionably was Cena. He's just on a different level than everyone else.

On the other hand, the commentary was shambolic. The amount of times I was told i was watching something great and that how everything was a moment. Grating after a while

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I like how everyone who went to Mania used to hate Cena. Now they like him because he's old and isnt a current star. Becky will be getting it in a few months.

He's wrestling's Stephen Hendry or Arsene Wenger. Everyone likes him now he's not a threat.

Archived