Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

44 minutes ago, Freddyjoe said:

In other news what’s not to love about the IIonics? 

The content of their promos and Billie Kay’s wrestling ability.

I don’t know what the general opinion is of them but I find them channel changingly irritating. 

To be clear, it’s nothing to do with their performances (even though Billie Kay is a bit weak in the ring) - it’s the material I hate.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My guessing is that WCW paid for that for lifetime rights which is why that is still on there. It's very possible that was the case, which would explain why its there. 

That would still be just as remarkable - that Simmons and Stanley would sign away lifetime rights is bizarre. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

One of the best Wrestlemaniae in years. Would have been in the upper echelon of all-time Wrestlesmania if they had even tried to cut the fat and keep it down to four hours or so, and just the good stuff.

Typo or plural? If plural, I like it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Fair fucks to Kofi and happy for those that love him. I hated him for years until New Day became entertaining as a three-piece but in story terms he "found form" at the right time, strung the wins together when they mattered and Wimbledon 88'd his way to the big win. It was enjoyable.

Although my favourite moment was the Iiconics winning. They're going to be unbearable on SmackDown, in the best possible way.

Funnily enough, I was listening to the Pet Peeves episode of SCG at the gym this morning and yours being Kofi made me chuckle.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

That would still be just as remarkable - that Simmons and Stanley would sign away lifetime rights is bizarre. 

Were talking WCW here. Didn't they pay Kiss $1 Million to perform life on Nitro? Everybody has their price. You are right though. I went to the Kiss Crazy Golf in Vegas which had a chapel attached for Kiss Wedding Ceremonies and Kiss branded coffins for sale

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Surprised Gene Simmons hasnt tried to sue WWE for using the Demon name. And before anyone says "he'd have no right to", this is a man who tried to claim ownership of the devil horns hand gesture. He's got nothing better to do.

Marvin Gaye's estate will probably sue over it instead if one of his songs contained the word 'demon', they seem to sue anyone over anything.

• Paid Members

It reminds me of when Jay Z and DDP went to court over the Diamond Cutter sign. 

I don't know what to say or how to sum up WWE and wrestling in general any more. I've been a fan since spring/summer time 1991, but can't help feeling flat the majority of time I watch nowadays. The past several years, at least I've had WrestleMania to pique my interest again. But for the very first time, even mania left me with that flat feeling. Maybe it's because I had a 12 hour shift yesterday and had to rush through a 7 hour show between starting today's 12 hour shift and being cranky through self inflicted tiredness!

For the most part, I enjoy many of todays stars. But nothing ever really seems to progress, it's all just a complete paint by numbers product to me. I know this is against the grain, but I am not a massive fan of women's wrestling. I agree that they do deserve their chance, but it's just not for me. Although ironically I can admit that Charlotte is probably head and shoulders above most of the current roster (male or female). And Rousey is a revelation, pleased for her at how well she has been able to adapt to the graps. 

I'm pissed off with how nobody is truly allowed to become a megastar. With the exception of the usual suspects, it's just all treading water and trading wins for no better reason than 'just because'. 

In an era where the roster is as talented as it's ever been, I'm just bored at how mundane they are all made to look. 

The fans. The bloody fans. Absolute cock ends who think they are more important than what's happening in the ring. If it's not that aspect, it's boring people sat on their hands or phones making no noise other than a cough or murmur for the latest attitude era star making a comeback. Or the absolute idiots who clamour for it to return to what it was in the 90s. (1997 aside) People, rewatch some of it. It doesn't hold up nor would it work in this day and age for many reasons. It's the nostalgia you're yearning after.

The wrestling is perfectly acceptable, in fact at times it's great. But after a while it's just the same Indy lite  wrestling in every match. Not surprising considering it's mainly made up of former Indy stars.

I'm worried in feeling optimistic for anyone out of NXT. Just because they end up being absorbed into the same old tired system. I have people I like at the 'top end' and 'bottom end' of the card. But again, there seems to be no change in the status quo of it all.

In the space of 6 weeks or so, they proved what they can accomplish, they turned Kofi Kingston into a credible story and challenger to the WWE Title. But for whatever reason are too lazy, or stubborn, or maybe just not that interested because they're making money regardless of the success of their wrestling stories. 

I apologise for the negative post, I think somebody said it earlier... I guess it's just not for me anymore. The irony is I finally persuaded my (soon to be) wife to attend wrestlemania with me next year. Don't quite know how to break it to her that I don't think I'm that interested anymore!

Wrestling will always be dear in my heart, because as the other thread states, "when it's good, it's bloody great" but I think after 28 years i'm about done with it. Think I'll dip in and out when I hear something that piques my interest again.

So as to not derail entirely with this long arse negative post...

Thought the idea of Lesnar/Rollins kicking the show off was perfectly fine and a cool idea. 

AJ and Orton had a pretty decent little match. Orton looks a lot bulkier these days too. Not as lean as I seem to remember.

Miz should be a superstar, he has everything and i wouldn't be surprised to see him headlining next year. But will they really allow him to become a superstar or just the same as he's been for the last couple years with a world title reign.

Bryan and Kofi was brilliant. From the happy accident of a storyline to the pay off two nights ago it was just like it should be. The underdog rising up to realise a dream. I didn't think they'd make the switch so that made the story all that better.

Batista.... love him. Shame they decided against giving him more over recent years/his film schedule wouldn't allow for more. Surely a no brainer for headline HoF inductee next year.

Charlotte and Rousey (and becky), as above. Pleased for the trio. It's amazing how far ahead of the rest of the women those two actually are. Shame WWE don't have more at their level to help flash out the women's roster more.

Oh and special mention to Cena. For me, truly the G.O.A.T. Not my personal favourite mind you, but few have come close to his longevity.

In true wrestling fashion. I guess I'll go back on my word at some point, and watch more often than I currently anticipate. Never say never and all that jazz. After all, it's 28 years of an almost 36 year life I've dedicated to this crazy little world. The romanticism is still there, pulling at my heart strings. For the joy, anger and hurt it has given me through that time, I can smile safe in the knowledge it gave me everything I wanted at one point and more. So long wrestling, until next time (most probably next week 🙃 the cunning bastards).

• Paid Members

Fans being quiet is something I noticed, actually. During Becky's entrance I was surprised how quiet it was, even adjusting for how late it was, and how the crowd noise dissipates in such a big, open air venue. But then I realised that everyone had their phones out filming everything.

So it's not like they weren't engaged, or had fucked off to get some popcorn, but I still wanted to scream "DO SOMETHING" at them. Or "MAKE SOME NOISE!" like a 2002 babyface.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Fans being quiet is something I noticed, actually. During Becky's entrance I was surprised how quiet it was, even adjusting for how late it was, and how the crowd noise dissipates in such a big, open air venue. But then I realised that everyone had their phones out filming everything.

So it's not like they weren't engaged, or had fucked off to get some popcorn, but I still wanted to scream "DO SOMETHING" at them. Or "MAKE SOME NOISE!" like a 2002 babyface.

The whole life through a lens thing grates on me more than anything else.  The amount of time I see someone with their back to the ring trying to get a 5 second jerky clip of them and a blurry Roman Reigns or someone else in shot is staggering.  You are there with everything happening right in front of you and all you care about is some likes on face fudge when you post the video up, no doubt during the actual show.  Surely they realise the damn thing is being recorded on High Deff TV cameras so go catch a screen grab off the telly when you get home if it means that much.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, El Dingo Capitano said:

The whole life through a lens thing grates on me more than anything else.  The amount of time I see someone with their back to the ring trying to get a 5 second jerky clip of them and a blurry Roman Reigns or someone else in shot is staggering.  You are there with everything happening right in front of you and all you care about is some likes on face fudge when you post the video up, no doubt during the actual show.  Surely they realise the damn thing is being recorded on High Deff TV cameras so go catch a screen grab off the telly when you get home if it means that much.

sometimes it pays off though. Who would have known that Dash had a real knockout punch without someone filming the Bret Hart fall out from the HoF?

Archived