Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

FANS :  There’s too many matches.  Not everyone needs to be on the show.  It’s too long.

ALSO FANS:  I can’t believe (lists 20 names, 16 of which barely appear on Raw or Smackdown) don’t have a match at Wrestlemania.  They’re being buried.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just when you think they've muddled and overcomplicated the main event as much as humanly possible, Meltzer is now reporting that both the Raw and Smackdown Women's Titles will be on the line, but not in a winner-takes-all scenario. Instead, it'll be under if-you-pin-a-champion-you-win-that-person's-belt rules.

I absolutely hate it. Such Russo shite. Proper TNA stuff. Watch them call it something shit like, "Queen of the Mountain." Plus, it further suggests we're getting the forced Horsewomen Curtain Call rather than Becky standing tall alone.

It's genuinely impressive how much they lost their way with this. There was something truly special about the original dynamic of just the two of them. You felt it the night Becky invaded Raw and then it was only bigger by the time of, "I choose you." They had it. Lightning in a bottle. Pure, perfect pro-wrestling. It was the first time a Ronda match in WWE had that same buzz that her MMA fights used to have. Becky was the talk of MMA media and this really felt like something that could cross-over. Then they did everything in their power to water down the buzz.

Never was it more evident what a huge mis-step this was than when they sent the women to promote the match on ESPN. Seeing them trying to sell a three-way match on a proper sports show was super jarring. It felt so dopey. The concept of a Triple Threat Match is acceptable within the cofides of the show itself, but once removed, in the real world? It sounds like such stupid, goofy nonsense. And now they've added these shitty gameshow rules on top of it. Unbelievable.

Even for a company renowned for being far better at kick-starting angles than paying them off, I honestly can't think of one that started so great only to nosedive so rapidly. It's Becky herself that I feel most sorry for. She's clearly got incredible instincts for this business. She must be going fucking crazy seeing them constantly undermining all her hard work.

2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

If they were so obsessed with not making it Becky Vs Ronda they should have just added Asuka as well.

Asuka wins the Women’s Battle Royale on the pre-show, then Stephanie ‘Creator of Woman’ adds her to the match during the main show?

I mean, it’s a bit shit and a bit Russo, but I can see it happening.

Fuck it,  let’s just go full Wrestlecrap and have a Double Jeopardy Match like from the dying days of ECW. Ronda v Becky and Charlotte v Asuka at the same time, winners face eachother 

Thoughts: This entire process of adding Charlotte and giving her the SD Belt is brilliant. Seems genuine belief there'll be a curtain call moment rather than Becky alone, probably couldnt have worked these last few weeks better. It also helps that the title isnt just thrown into a match for the sake of it now too.

Also, Cena vs Undertaker as the proper surprise match they were intending it to be last year? Either that or Angle rolls over Corbin in record time, so Cena to answer the challenge ala his debut.

Theres also waaaaaay too many Singles matches on the card, and not many with much merit. 

It was so organic it was easy. Ronda v Becky, Asuka v Charlotte in a 'You've beaten everyone but you've never beaten me and I ended your streak' redemption match for Asuka - they would then have 2 high profile,  meaningful,  strong women's matches on the card and would establish a new opponent for Becky after Mania when Asuka beats Charlotte and goes 'You've never beaten me Becky, but I've beaten you'..

Sometimes wrestling can be incredibly simple. It doesn't need complicating. Sadly Vinces penchant for blondes and his 'She can't even speak English, pal' mentality negates these things from happening and we have the forced, complicated match we have now. 

I have no doubt the match itself will deliver but, God, it's been a struggle to get there.

1 hour ago, TRSL said:

Don't know if its been mentioned but the Women's Tripple Threat is now a Winner Takes All match so looks like Becky is likely to be on Raw and Smackdown full time moving forward for a while.

Source please?  Not a single mention on WWE.com regarding this announcement.  It's at this point still for the raw women's title only.

With Wrestlemania 35 currently standing at 14 matches, will the Raw and Smackdown Tag Titles be defended or just left off the card?

Now, I wouldn't mind a match pitting the Raw Tag Champs (The Revival) against the Smackdown Tag Champs (The Usos) as it is a fresh match and could be a good one.

Given the fact Nakamura/Rusev, The Bar and the New Day (Big E and Woods) are not listed for the Battle Royal, the last time I saw anyway it seems the Smackdown Tag titles are set for a Fatal 4 Way Tag Match.

11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It was so organic it was easy. Ronda v Becky, Asuka v Charlotte in a 'You've beaten everyone but you've never beaten me and I ended your streak' redemption match for Asuka - they would then have 2 high profile,  meaningful,  strong women's matches on the card

And you’d be moaning here next Monday that one of them was too short.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Think the reason it'll be "pin the champ" rules, is so at the end, they can go off the air with the Four Horsewomen holding up all their belts. And then Ronda can bring her 4 mates in to finally do that feud they've been teasing for years.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of too. Seems obviously orchestrated to have a belt on each of the Four Horsewomen by the end of the night.

I really hope they don't immediately go to the Four vs. Four match. I was hoping we might see a Backlash 2000 scenario where they do the Becky vs. Ronda singles match at Extreme Rules. It seems a huge shame if we never get them one-on one.

So...Ronda looks kinda stupid now if she just wants to tap out Becky and not bag another belt...? Or I guess it could be a weird way of protecting her in loss, not winning because she was conflicted. Fuck knows.

I think part of the real shame of it and a way WWE have done themselves a disservice, is it would have been more significant that the first time women are main eventing the company’s biggest show it isn’t in its simplest form, 1v1, with no added gimmicks, just the two people many most wanted to see 1v1, when it really and so easily could have been.

Archived