Woah Woah WrestleMania - Dis-cussion thread - pump it up, pump it up. *HOF spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

I know it's the Granddaddy of Them all but the run time on these things is getting pretty fucking ridiculous, especially if you stay up for it. 

The last two years, I've went out to a bar showing Wrestle Mania live with a friend but after last year's event being like seven and a half hours, I actually thought twice about going again, this year.

Especially, when I read that Wrestle Mania 35 might have seventeen matches in total...which is three more matches than last year.

That will be like eight or nine hours of wrestling, which might too much for this mark.

Edited by CL Punk

40 minutes ago, CL Punk said:

I know it's the Granddaddy of Them all but the run time on these things is getting pretty fucking ridiculous, especially if you stay up for it. 

The last two years, I've went out to a bar showing Wrestle Mania live with a friend but after last year's event being like seven and a half hours, I actually thought twice about going again, this year.

Especially, when I read that Wrestle Mania 35 might have seventeen matches in total...which is three more matches than last year.

That will be like eight or nine hours of wrestling, which might too much for this mark.

Same here. The last few years I've gone out into town to watch Wrestlemania with some mates, some of them being fans, and some of them casuals, and they can never fathom the need for a show running so long. It's a horrible introduction to new fans, because how can you possibly maintain interest in something new when it's being dragged out for 6/7 hours? I think last year I was nodding off during Styles/Nakamura, and that was after a few cans of Monster to keep me conscious.

Completely on board with that idea. Nothing worse than a forced, 25 minute "classic" when you can have a match that goes on for less than 5 minutes. Brock vs Goldberg was the perfect example of this. I can't explain enough how grateful I was when Undertaker and Cena took about 4 seconds to hit their finishing sequence. If they'd had gone and swapped finishers for 20 minutes I'd have been out like a light.

2 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Same here. The last few years I've gone out into town to watch Wrestlemania with some mates, some of them being fans, and some of them casuals, and they can never fathom the need for a show running so long. It's a horrible introduction to new fans, because how can you possibly maintain interest in something new when it's being dragged out for 6/7 hours? I think last year I was nodding off during Styles/Nakamura, and that was after a few cans of Monster to keep me conscious.

Last year due to being on Honeymoon I didn't watch Mania in one go and divided it up into about 3 or 4 sittings which made it a lot more tolerable. Spending time trotting around Paris and Luxembourg kept me off my phone so I didn't see any spoilers. That said I still skipped through a few matches including AJ vs Nakamura as while that promised to be a good match, I knew it was 25 minutes I could shave off from part of the show I had no story line interest in. 

I think I will do the same this year, watch a few matches a night all week, that said due to the shitty internet where I live it is better to watch on my phone and recently WWE have changed the app making it a lot harder to jump to the network page without glancing at WWE.com and all the fucking spoilers!

Brock/Rollins - 15

Ronda/Becky/Charlotte - 30

HHH/Batista - 30

AJ/Orton - 20

Shane/Miz - 10

Angle farewell match - 30

Cruiserweight Match - 15 (Preshow)

Bryan/Kofi - 20

Roman/McIntyre - 15

Smackdown Womens title match - 5

IC Title Multi Man match - 15

US Title Multi Man Match - 15 (Preshow)

Smackdown Tag Title multi team match - 15

Raw Tag Title multi team team match - 15

Womens Tag Team multi team match - 15

Andre battle royal - 20 (Preshow main - if that's a thing)

Womens battle royal - Don't see it happening

Bran Strowman SNL confrontation - Skits throughout, car flip doesn't take long.

HoF introduction - 10

Rough back of fag packet maths puts the main show matches at around the 4 hour mark. With an hour on top for promos and VTs, and a 2 hour pre show, I think it's about the same as last year in length. Of course...ahem...card subject to change

30 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

Angle farewell match - 30

Incredibly generous of you to suggest the mud and twigs that collaborate to hold Kurt's neck together could last for even half that time!

I think a few of the marquee matches could go short. Rollins/Brock, HHH/Batista, Angle/???, Reigns/??? I could all feasibly see going less than 10 minutes in an attempt to create a watchable show.

Who am I kidding? It's going 9 hours isn't it?

Edited by AdamTH17

I included the post-match cheering and waving and tears in the 30 mins.

With a 2 hour pre-show, there's scope to shove the multiperson matches on there, and dare I say, Mania only needs one women's singles match on the main card...(sorry Asuka)

The thought of having to watch batista in a 30 minute match in 2019 is about as exciting as watching your parents make love.

What is the thought processes behind some of these decisions is it because trips has to try and have a 30 minute show stealer every year 

It's no holds barred, so it's not like they're going to be trading wristlocks. Plus, Batista has always been a way better talent (with the right opponent) than most have given him credit for.

Basically, what i'm saying is, watch your damn mouth and leave Big Dave alone (and give him what we wants...)