Classical music is the best entrance music

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

After watching this week's NXT UK, I am still not sure how much I like WALTER as a wrestler, but I do know he's my current favourite thing on the show and it's 100% down to this music.

Beautiful piece of music, and perfectly evokes what I know of the WALTER character. He is ferocious and will smash your face off but it's going to look simultaneously brutal and elegant. You wouldn't get that if he'd come out to some durgey guitar riff or a screaming nu-metaller.

I therefore make the case that the best entrance music is classical. It makes the person feel like a star, it projects a presence you don't get from other kinds of music.

Supporting evidence:

If that doesn't make you want to slowly swing your outstretched arms and turn in a circle while wearing ridiculous sunglasses I don't know what will. Music of a champion.

In conclusion,

I'm not saying CFO$ hasn't done good work, but let's get Dvorak, Elgar and Strauss in a room together because if WWE need new people to look and feel like stars they could do worse than getting the violins out.

I'm off to watch WrestleMania VIII and then this week's NXT UK again.

Would it not just fit Bryan to have a new version of Valkyrie's. Perhaps panpipes and acoustic guitar. Electric guitars are a waste of natural resources. The maple in the body came from a tree I have named, Miidred. Suffocated under lacquer and strung with polluting strings of metal...

• Paid Members

I've argued for a long time that there's nothing like classical music to convey a real "big-time", epic feel. Think there was a thread a few months ago I posted some examples of music that would be perfect as entrance themes for wrestlers, like Charpentier's Te Deum Prelude:

Also, Sibelius' Karelia suite:

https://youtu.be/adKwG9ZuzFw?t=64

Paul Bearer turning and helping Mankind to decimate the Undertaker was one of the most shocking angles of the 90s and this unsettling piece of music just adds to the utterly gutted feeling fans must have felt that night at summerslam. I've come to think Mankind is Foley's best work. Loved the weird touch of him having both an entrance and exit theme.

• Paid Members
On 2/2/2019 at 5:16 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Mussorgsky 

Maybe it's just me imagining it but the bit that kicks in at 17 seconds has always sounded similar to the start of Samoa Joe's entrance music to me. Great intimidating bit for an entrance anyhow!

Does anyone remember the video package that WWF put out in 2000 which was a collection of cool moves set to O Fortuna? I can't find it on the internet but it worked spectacularly well. I also have a vivid memory of greatly annoying my dad when we heard O Fortuna on a TV show or something and I described it as "wrestling music". 

• Paid Members

WALTER's theme is magnificent. It's foreboding, and it feels like the fight you're about to see is an event. So much better than just more generic alt-rock.

I never really liked Triple H using "Ode to Joy" as it just seemed like a child's idea of what a posh person would like. But then maybe that was the point.

10 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Does anyone remember the video package that WWF put out in 2000 which was a collection of cool moves set to O Fortuna? I can't find it on the internet but it worked spectacularly well. I also have a vivid memory of greatly annoying my dad when we heard O Fortuna on a TV show or something and I described it as "wrestling music". 

I don't, but it was also used in the pre match video for Undertaker vs Kane at Wrestlemania 14

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I never really liked Triple H using "Ode to Joy" as it just seemed like a child's idea of what a posh person would like. But then maybe that was the point.

I like it because of the upbeat nature of it. They haven't abandoned the gimmick at that time but it's like they're trying to find something that's true to the character but isn't monotone in that rapidly changing environment. To be cheesy, it's like classical music with attitude.

Archived