Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, martyngnr said:

Even as a blinkered GNR superfan I can admit that Appetite is let down by You're Crazy. The electric version of it is rubbish.

It’s my favourite album ever, but You’re Crazy and Think About You are the two I skip when listening to Appetite. A lot of people love Think About You, I’ve never been able to get into it despite giving it a few chances. 

I think New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) by Simple Minds is awesome. Some catchy pop tunes, brilliant synths and strong songs throughout. 

I also love Dare by The Human League. The album fits so perfectly, well certainly the first 9 tracks as Don't you want me somehow doesn't quite fit but a good song. An album where all 10 tracks could have been singles. 

• Paid Members

Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys? Doolittle by Pixies? As much as I love it I don't think Six by Mansun gets a spot in this list because people will disagree. The Bends by Radiohead? From a bit out of left field can I suggest Them Crooked Vultures? Discovery by Daft Punk?

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I think from start to finish, including skits, this is the best hip hop album to grace my lugs.

Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II.

Top to bottom gems.

0DDF17AE-46DB-4E9B-8E44-903414B9C67D.jpeg

I was thinking of this album when hip hop was mentioned earlier.

Quinton's on his way!

Edited by Sphinx

I'd say metal could be up for discussion if we're talking about perfect albums within their genre and then it's obviously Streetcleaner by Godflesh, it changed the face of extremity within the genre and influenced even the most mainstream metal musicians.

But back on track and Disintegration by The Cure, not only perfect but no album starts so amazingly.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's Surrender by The Chemical Brothers.

That's not how you spell Biology.

There's two I'd consider perfect albums for me, in that I like every single track and wouldn't dare skip any of them.

Screenshot_20190201-180927_Spotify.thumb.jpg.0a0c3d42ad695235111189e690334de2.jpg

Music For The Jilted Generation and Fat of the Land might be better albums overall, but even they have a couple of tracks on each that I don't give a shit about. I like every track on Experience, even if it 'killed rave' according to MixMag.

Screenshot_20190201-180954_Spotify.thumb.jpg.6daf71eb39d34e8307f1d9a1b2dafdc2.jpg

Homework is the most inspirational and critically acclaimed album from Daft Punk, but features some tracks that even I don't bother with. Discovery is better in every way anyway. Digital Love is my favourite track they've ever produced (together, anyway) and it's such an easy listen. They haven't come close to living up to this album since, so it's equally their curse.

Honourable mention #1: The Streets- A Grand Don't Come For Free. On their own, most of the tracks are far from great. But this isn't a collective of decent individual songs like most albums, this is a wonderfully told story from the first track to the last, with subplots intertwining between the songs. The final track, Empty Cans, is an excellent payoff to the stories told throughout the album.

Honourable mention #2: Chicane- Behind The Sun. Purely because the first six tracks on the album are possibly the strongest six-track run I've ever heard on an album. All of them are brilliant. The rest of the album is fine, but these 6 are on another level. A nice blend of chilled vocals, ambient beats and trance.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

That's not how you spell Biology.

I was going to say Chemistry, but the intro is stupid and It's Magic isn't very good. It's not far off though.

Nor is Rocket to Russia but I wasn't keen on the Surfin' Bird cover.

• Paid Members

MI0000031735.jpg514L2l8bMvL.jpg

One was the beginning of something truly special, kicking it off with a stunningly accomplished debut, the other is a band at their critical and commercial peak. Pretty mad an album so dour and morose became one of the best selling albums of the 90s. If I was picking a top 5 albums ever one of them is definitely making it on the list.