UFC London: Till vs Masvidal - Mar 16 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good win for Molly McCann there. She showed proper heart to keep on going despite going full Sloth in the third round. Grappling was shit on both parts, but Molly's boxing and footwork actually looked pretty nice. Probably the correct decision, helped by the fight taking place in England. She was lucky, actually, not to lose that through doctor stoppage. I've seen them stopped for less. Not sure why the referee had to lecture Priscilla for that fake-out. Dick move, but certainly doesn't break any rules.

Dan Ige looked impressive. First time seeing him, but he did really well to close the distance and crack Henry. Not sure if he hits hard, or if Henry just has a suspect chin. Did well to remain composed on the ground and lock in a submission. Seems like a decent chap as well.

Fucking Safarov! Had to laugh because his cage-grabbing was so blatant. Should the fight not have gone back to that leg-lock position they were in? Though I suppose Safarov was the one benefiting from that happening. Safarov has zero technique whatsoever in the striking, Saki would've taken him to bits, but he just keeps on plodding forward and throwing bombs. The fucking hemotoma on Negurjeojlpejrero! Bring back YAMMA PitFighting. Electrify the fence. 

Joe Duffy being classified as a prospect is...different. Easily the best Diakiese has looked, a really smart fight. Targeted the legs to take the sting out of Duffy's striking, which there was no answer for, and then picked him apart by keeping his striking unpredictable. Never gave Duffy a chance to find his distance or rhythm and was able to cruise to victory as a result.

Similar fight for Allen. Calm, composed, kept things simple. Think he was risking it a bit, end of the 2nd and 3rd you could certainly make a case for him fighting after the bell. Rinaldi just had nothing to trouble him with, couldn't find the space or timing to let his hands go. Just have to hope he keeps himself active now, otherwise he's going to fuck himself over by not being able to maintain enough momentum.

Was working through the rest of the main card but that was vicious from Masvidal. Till's defence was suspect the whole fight through and Jorge made him pay for it. The way Till's head bounced off the canvas was madness, an absolutely perfect punch. Hope for his sake he gets matched up with another striker. Masvidal/Lawler anyone? I can't see him being able to do the same to the likes of Usman or Askren. Really tough one for Till. Similar spot to Garbrandt I think. Had a big point to prove, got carried away, and got brutally finished. Till's might be even worse given the hometown crowd and the nature of the knockout. Maybe he gives the weight class another look.

• Paid Members

That Masvidal KO was fucking cold. Absolutely ruthless. Always a scary sight to see a man’s head bounce off the canvas the way Till’s did there. It was a good fight before that. A low blow and Till knocking him down within the first minute set the tone but Masvidal got right back in it and that finishing shot was about as clean as it gets. Pretty nice post-fight interview from him as well. I’ve never liked Masvidal and his forced, cringey thing of thinking he’s a character in Scarface when he’s really just an ex backyard fighter. But I actually found myself going ‘yeah, fair play’ and thinking  maybe he was finally starting to grow up a bit. 

Then he reaffirms my original opinion with the dickhead stuff backstage. Yeah, Edwards was mouthing off but Masvidal going up and throwing punches was fucking dopey shit. What a plum. You get paid to fight, you just scored what is surely the biggest win of your career in a UFC main event and you’re attacking someone (who’s in your division meaning an actual fight where you get paid can be made quite easily) backstage because they said something you didn’t like. Idiot. It was a lowlight for both of them but watching the footage the bulk of the blame clearly lies with the discount Pablo Escobar. 

All that said, with how the UFC operates these days, I don’t know if Masvidal will be punished or rewarded for this. I guess the logical move now would be to book Masvidal vs Edwards. I think the Askren thing was more if Till won. I’m fully expecting them to make that Askren vs Lawler rematch now and do Masvidal vs Edwards, Woodley vs RDA/Ponzinibbio and Usman vs Covington for the belt. 

Edwards vs Gunni wasn’t the most exciting. Thought the right man won though and was pretty surprised one judge scored it to Nelson. Thought it was about as a clear cut a 29-28 for Edwards as it gets. Had Gunnar taking the third but losing the other two. Big win for Edwards. Felt a bit bad for him getting booed actually. 

Reyes vs Volkan was alright but didn’t catch fire like I’d hoped it would. I quite like Reyes but him going ‘I’m coming for you Jon’ was almost laughable after squeaking past Volkan here. He’s got bags of potential but there’s obviously still some work to do. 

Nathaniel Wood continues to roll on. He’s really going from strength to strength right now and you can almost see his confidence growing and him feeling more at home with each fight. I think it’s time for a step up. 

Diakiese vs Duffy was decent. Easily the best showing of Diakiese’s UFC run so far. Duffy is just floundering at this point. He’s got the skills but it’s just not clicking for him for whatever reason. Whether it’s the lay-offs ballsing up his momentum or it’s just Diakiese stepping his game up or what, Duffy is really struggling. 

McCann vs Cachoeira was a bit of a messy fight but it got McCann back in the win column. She clearly won despite her eye swelling up like Jacko’s cock at a nursery. And that’s two beatings Cachoeira has taken in the UFC now. This one was nowhere near as bad as the misery Valentina Shevchenko inflicted on her but it was another bad night. 

And I enjoyed Grundy vs Narimani a lot in the curtain jerker. Thought Grundy was on his way to getting stopped himself but then he rallied and pulled that TKO out of the bag. Nice debut. 

Oh and if I had curly hair, I’d buy me one of these shirts...

530BFE95-C84D-49C4-8BE3-DAD92DCF04E2.jpeg

• Paid Members

Quite the eventful evening, chaps. Bisping inducted, dodgy refs, Masvidal takes out everyone and I somehow managed to polish off chips, chicken satay, crackers and chicken balls, while tutting at all the soft lads going 3 rounds.

The Bisping induction production was surprisingly well done for the UFC who seem to try their hardest to make such things seem like an uneventful afterthought. Without question Bisping's march to the title is the greatest moment in the sports history and the moment he won is easily the most satisfying moment I've experienced in sports in the 10s. What a guy. One of my good friends loves boxing but has never really taken to MMA, but he absolutely adores Bisping. He first became aware of Bisping on some podcast where Bisping was the funny one in a room of comedians. I think we both agree that in a fight to the death, Bisping is the last fighter we'd want to face because even if you threw him off a plane he'd be waiting to smash your face in at the airport. Please don't batter your wife and kids, Mike.

That KO was about as ugly as it gets. Just a shame Masvidal is maybe suspended for a while. You fancy Till will see a lot more nights like this is he doesn't fancy tightening up his defence a little. Purely for his health too, because that's two huge bombs he's suffered in a row. 

Edited by ColinBollocks