Devon Malcolm

Wait, Gladders, you think that the original film, which created the characters and kickstarted the franchise, is the worst of the series?  Now I haven't seen it in decades, but I remember it being a lot of fun, and that's not something you can say about some of the others.  Anything without Diesel is pretty awful, and Diesel+Rock is pretty great.  Add in Statham and you peak.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Wait, Gladders, you think that the original film, which created the characters and kickstarted the franchise, is the worst of the series?  Now I haven't seen it in decades, but I remember it being a lot of fun, and that's not something you can say about some of the others.

Yeah I can, they're all fun aside from the first one. It kickstarted the franchise, sure, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily any good.

The first one is a shit Point Break. Not find of any of the ones without Dwayne in them. I watched the one with the big submarine chase in it at the cinema and that was decent but they don't feel like classics, any of them.

Those "I almost had you" Paul Walker bumper stickers are cringe as too. 

The Fast and The Furious and Tokyo Drift are the only real F&F films. The second is trash and the others are good but they are also so far away from the original.

The first film came out when i was just starting out in the car scene so it holds a special place in my heart because that was our film.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, W35ty said:

The first film came out when i was just starting out in the car scene so it holds a special place in my heart because that was our film.

The kind of idiots that say stuff like this is who I imagine the whole franchise is aimed at. If this guy says those two are the best I assume they must be the worst.

Edit: I've just gone back and checked my assessment is consistent with Devon's F&F code, so I'm obviously on to something! And maybe I should check out one of the later films.....

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I guess you could jump in at 5 but I do think it's worth seeing the others just so you know what the hell everyone's on about. You've always been annoyingly cagey about your tastes in stuff though so I honestly couldn't say whether you'd just hate them all.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

What bothers me the most is that in the first film at Vin Diesels house party they are listening to Ludacris. But in the second film Ludacris plays Tej.

So are we to assume that they are one and the same or is Tej a doppleganger or perhaps a clone? 

In such cases, I tend to apply the Romeo Must Die look-alike rule: when Aaliyah's character, Trish, who's being chaperoned by Anthony Anderson's character, Maurice, manages to escape his watch and run off, he chases after her, yelling: "Trish! Get yo' Aaliyah-lookin' ass back here!" 

I'm sure it happens a bit more often, but I don't think I'd ever seen a film or TV programme ever do that before. Only other instance I can directly think of is Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back when Ben Affleck as Holden talks about how awesome it is Ben Affleck will be playing him in the movie of his life, very meta.

Edited by Carbomb

• Moderators

That was one of the stupidest things about Ocean's whatever. Where their plan hinged on Julia Roberts looking like Julia Roberts. When it becomes a major plot point like that it's just stupid. But tbh addressing it at all I think is a bad idea and ruins the suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah I can, they're all fun aside from the first one. It kickstarted the franchise, sure, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily any good.

I watched the first one hoping for a daft laugh, but found it incredibly boring. Torque is much better. I also tried to watch the first one with the Rock, and also found it a tedious waste of time, so I think I just don't like the franchise.

• Paid Members

Code for me 51678234

For my money 5 is where they really cracked the code. Sort of combining the best elements of the heart of 1, the recockulousness of 2 with a heist/caper movie.

4 & to a lesser extent 3 are the only ones that feel like treading water for me. A cracking franchise.