Dean Ambrose leaves the ukff

mim731

• Paid Members

Apparently Dean Ambrose is off on his merry way out if WWE in the coming weeks (article below, contains Raw spoilers)

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2019/01/29/dean-ambrose-leaving-wwe-shortly-after-wrestlemania-when-his-contract-expires-in-april/

Can't say I blame him. They've had a few opportunities to do something of note with him, but outside of The Shield he has largely been booked pretty badly. Off to AEW you'd imagine? 

It's probably a decent time to go too, lots of options for him and given his relationship with Rollins and Reigns presumably the door is open for a return in the future, ideally as a bigger commodity.

• Paid Members

Can't say he'll be missed. Looked like he could be a brilliant promo as a mid card heel when he was feuding with Regal down in FCW. Looked good in The Shield as well, but when not paired with his pals he's been very bland. There was a point about 3 years ago where everyone thought he was the second coming of Stone Cold but I never saw it myself.

• Paid Members

Can't blame Ambrose at all. Spends months getting jacked, comes back looking like a megastar, primed for his big run and they turn him into an OCD dickhead breathing into a handkerchief and getting arse injections. I reckon AEW will throw a tonne of cash at him.

• Paid Members

I still think it was that Stone Cold podcast that sunk him, seems like the sort of thing Vince would hold on to as a reason to not go the whole way with him. If he goes of to AEW or even ROH or NJPW for a year, and gets over massive he can walk back in as a main eventer when he comes back. Especially if his wife is continuing to work there (although there's always been that rumour that ESPN want her so who knows).

Good on Ambrose. The guy has been working with complete dog shit. There was a couple of points   in his run where he probably could have taken off as a babyface as well. Sounds like he was trying to get ideas through but kept hitting the wwe creative wall. He’s good without the gimmicky nonsense. Fuck, we saw it last night. 

I wasn’t paying much attention to the AEW stuff. This along with WWE suddenly remembering they had a tag division, it’s a snowball effect from that right? If so I’m all in.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Off to AEW you'd imagine?

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I reckon AEW will throw a tonne of cash at him.

I still can't get my head around the idea that Elite are going to be able to pay anything near what a Dean Ambrose earns working 50 weeks a year for WWE. I know the wrestler's personal circumstances are always going to play a part in any decision if, for example, the house is already paid for and there's plenty in the bank already, you might be able to say "fuck it, I don't need to earn much more, let's roll the dice."

Deano's an odd one. On the one hand you'd say "missed potential" but then you remember he was WWE champion (briefly) during the "one champion" spell, so... how much further would he ever have really gone with Reigns and Rollins also around?

• Paid Members

He'll not be missed by me in the slightest. I don't think he is anywhere near as good as a lot of fans feel he is. Perfectly positioned in the mid card, and as an occasional guy to step up to the main event on a B/C level PPV. He had a chance to make a real go of it on his most recent return, which had Roman not gotten sick again, may have ended up with Ambrose winning the Rumble and turning heel on Roman in the lead up to Mania. It's more likely that he would have gotten cold before then though, and Vince would have changed direction anyway. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WeeAl said:

which had Roman not gotten sick again, may have ended up with Ambrose winning the Rumble and turning heel on Roman in the lead up to Mania.

I think far more likely is that Ambrose would have stayed babyface, Braun would have stayed heel, the 3 vs 3 would have continued, Lesnar would have been gone after Crown Jewel and your top heel would have been Braun opposite Reigns. Everything needed a reset to make a new top babyface, Ambrose was put in that spot to get Seth the sympathy.

53 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I still can't get my head around the idea that Elite are going to be able to pay anything near what a Dean Ambrose earns working 50 weeks a year for WWE. I know the wrestler's personal circumstances are always going to play a part in any decision if, for example, the house is already paid for and there's plenty in the bank already, you might be able to say "fuck it, I don't need to earn much more, let's roll the dice."

Deano's an odd one. On the one hand you'd say "missed potential" but then you remember he was WWE champion (briefly) during the "one champion" spell, so... how much further would he ever have really gone with Reigns and Rollins also around?

If they had pulled the trigger on him and had him either win the Royal Rumble or the Road Block match against Triple H at a time he was over as fuck, had the match with Lesnar be a title match (hopefully had Brock not just shit on him) I still think he would have been a made man. 

But no we got Roman being booed against a heel authority figure getting monster pops. 

Good job everyone.

• Paid Members

Brock gets all this flack for that shit match with Ambrose and I can't wrap my head around it. Brock has had some bad matches on this run (some with Roman, Braun and Joe, even the Taker mania match) but he has also had good matches with Styles, Bryan, Cena, HHH, Taker, Orton, Balor, the SummerSlam 4 way, and Roman. I can't think of a Dean Ambrose match, that wasn't a Shield 6 man tag, that was at the level of Brock's good matches with the cast of characters above. Maybe the reason the Mania 32 match was the shits has more to do with Dean Ambrose not being at Brock's level, than it has with Brock not being willing to do anything. 

• Paid Members

Very few people in recent years have seemed as genuinely unhinged and dangerous as Ambrose did against Regal in FCW. That they had him spend most of his main roster run as a goofy babyface, and never tapped into that side of him is the biggest waste of potential in recent memory.

I won't miss goofy main roster Dean Ambrose one bit, but it could be interesting to see what he does next. That it's all but killed off Shield nostalgia as a crutch for Reigns and Rollins' booking is probably the most interesting outcome.

As for whether he's going to AEW or not - we don't know what AEW look like, they may as well not exist yet, so it's impossible to say whether he'd be better used there or anything else. What's interesting is that more and more wrestlers are seemingly content to hand in their notice and try their luck outside of WWE - and the question is whether the motivating factor is that it's becoming easier to make money outside of WWE than it has been in years, or if the shift from making a cut of PPV buyrates to however pay works with the Network has made working in WWE less profitable for all but the select few.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Brock gets all this flack for that shit match with Ambrose and I can't wrap my head around it. Brock has had some bad matches on this run (some with Roman, Braun and Joe, even the Taker mania match) but he has also had good matches with Styles, Bryan, Cena, HHH, Taker, Orton, Balor, the SummerSlam 4 way, and Roman. I can't think of a Dean Ambrose match, that wasn't a Shield 6 man tag, that was at the level of Brock's good matches with the cast of characters above. Maybe the reason the Mania 32 match was the shits has more to do with Dean Ambrose not being at Brock's level, than it has with Brock not being willing to do anything. 

Whether it's true or not I have no idea, but Ambrose has said Brock didn't want to do anything in that match as he was eyeing up a UFC return at the time and didn't wanna risk injury. 

I can't really recall the match, but from memory, Ambrose got very little in something that resembled a hardcore match from the Attitude Era. 

I think Ambrose has plenty to offer if given the right material. There were a few months years back that he seemed ready to be a top guy. But yeah, it's like that Austin podcast really did a number on him and he's had too much goofy shit since. 

Interested to see what happens. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

What was said on this Austin podcast episode that people keep alluding to?

It was less what was said, more what wasn't, and Ambrose's performance in general.

Austin clearly went in wanting to see what made Ambrose tick, trying to get him to talk about his backstory, and Ambrose wasn't playing ball at all. They tried a whole "grasp the brass ring" thing, and Ambrose just came across as completely apathetic.

• Paid Members

Yeah. I think Austin was clearly trying to give Ambrose a kick up the arse because he sees potential there, but Ambrose came across as someone just happy to pick up a paycheque. For someone like Austin, who fucking grafted his neck off, it must be a bit infuriating seeing a featured act so nonplus by a simple request to cut a promo.