Favourite low-card angles & stories

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I have fond memories of the story where Perry Saturn got hit on the head one too many times by the Acolytes and went nuts, eventually culminating in him dumping Terri Runnels for Moppy. There was one particular skit where Terri and Perry go to a restaurant on a double date with Dean Malenko and his hot date. This was before the Moppy stage and Perry constantly embarrasses sensible old Dean with constant inappropriate comments and bizarre behavior. I remember that one being very funny. Perfect example of a lower card, daft little storyline and it's telling that I still remember it 18 years later.

Also Al Snow when he was European Champion, coming out every week dressed like a stereotype of a native of a different European country. Much to the annoyance of William Regal, who was in full hilariously indignant flow. That was a ton of fun too. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

What are your favourite angles, stories and characters that were nowhere near the main event?

Cody Rhodes' entire career.

BAZINGA.

• Paid Members

I think Rick brought it up a few months back, but the Rock giving the Hurricane a bit of a rub (Kenneth) during their brief little pairing, whilst clearly having loads of fun is worth a shout. 

Hurricane was pretty great all round wasn't he? Got the character down nicely, good worker, a catchphrase and a look that stood out. That little pose thing he did was cracking too. Still got pop when he showed up a little while ago. 

Christian claiming The Rock was his best friend, signed Christian a DVD etc for 3 months when The Rock was off and he was hosting 'The Peep Show' New Peoples Champ, which lead to The Rock coming back, playing slightly along with it and then destroying him. I always loved that era Christian. He was hilarious and getting well over. Little things like this started slightly throwaway but then built to something cool.

• Paid Members

The formation of the Blueboods in WCW in 1995. The proper odd couple team of posh twat Lord Steven Regal and country bumpkin Beautiful Bobby Eaton. The vignettes of Regal taking him to restaurants and tailors and struggling to refine and smarten him up are gold. 

Here’s the whole thing, from the beginning to Sir Robert’s ‘knighthood’, condensed into under 10 minutes; 

Class. 

• Paid Members
On 1/25/2019 at 2:07 PM, Sheffbag said:

Along the lines of the Al snow stereotype. Big Show doing impersonations was sweet for a while

Charlie Haas gave that a good crack as well. 

23 hours ago, air_raid said:

Cody Rhodes' entire career.

I liked Dashing Cody with his beauty tips. The weird stuff where he had the clear mask and was bagging people at ringside ended up going nowhere, though. 

Raven being exposed as a spoilt rich kid rebelling against his mum, going shopping with Kanyon is probably the best remembered part but I just love when "Jim" turns up and slaps Kanyon into the pool before chatting about his kids. I had no idea the kid he was talking about was the same Tyler that turned on him and joined Raven in ECW but it's so much funnier looking back on that now.

@tiger_rick hit the nail on the head - I adore heel Doink.

Starting off as just a random "is that a clown?", progressing to "he's been following us around for a few weeks now", to starting to play goofy tricks on random babyfaces after squash matches, to Crush threatening him and Doink offering up a dangerous retaliation to build to a match by pulling his own arm out of the socket and beating Crush over the head with it. All the while tempered with some brilliant Doink squashes on the road to Mania showing the fantastic range of the character - the maniacal laughing, the cold eye and dead face, so awesome. Heel Doink was brilliant, and tragically ends up being so awesome he turns babyface. Then worse, Borne gets canned and the character sticks around as a shitty babyface. Awful that the best character of 1993 turned into a symbol of how out of touch the WWF was so quickly. 

• Paid Members

I've always had a soft spot for Test and Stephanie's original romance angle. Pulpy, hammy nonsense, at the time I was probably telling myself that I hated it and that they should push the cruiserweights or something, but I was a moron. This was some of Russo's finest work. A fun episodic soap opera that lead to an astonishingly good "Love Her or Leave Her," match between Test and Shane McMahon at Summerslam 1999. That might be an idea for a thread, actually. Matches that over and under-deliver. I can't think of many matches that over-delivered more than Test vs. Shane McMahon. Pure fun from start to finish. Bring back the Posse.

Archived