Favourite low-card angles & stories

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What are your favourite angles, stories and characters that were nowhere near the main event?

I'll start with an obvious one. The Jericho vs. Dean Malenko feud in WCW. This might be the best one ever. That angle where malenko wins the Battle Royal as "Cyclope" and unmasks to a thunderous pop is brilliant and prompts Jericho's attempt to prove it's a conspiracy which is just gold. That interview where Jericho reads off his list of holds he knows over the ad break is genius stuff but well romanticised on here over the years. There's no way Jericho would stay heel these days being that entertaining.

Double Doink is a personal favourite. Loved heel Doink. A brilliant little character geniusly portrayed by Matt Bourne. Him attacking Crush with a prosthetic arm and the two Doinks are great angles. If I'm honest, I think they're ruined a bit by the dumb commentary. I loved them at the time though.

Kofi Kingston's annual Rumble spot is a great little gimmick for that match.

Loads of great stuff out there. What comes to mind?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's not a hidden gem, but the 24/7 rule for the hardcore title was a great little bit of fun. 

Crash legging it though the amusement Park and escaping through the ball pit was brilliant and Gerald Briscoe pinning a sleeping Crash and then silently celebrating was a genuine laugh out loud moment. 

I always enjoyed Matt Hardy vs MVP back in 2007. They even managed to keep it entertaining after MVP's heart problem, shame that Matt's appendix stopped us from having a proper blow-off match until some time afterwards. Even JBL's 'Half man, half amazing, half tag-team champions!' schtick never got old.

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I quite liked "Stevie Night Heat" or whatever it was a while back.

Which is funny because I don't usually care for him.

That's actually the one that came to mind for me as well! Thanks to Stevie and Victoria, Heat became more watchable than Raw for a while there.

Stevie Richards had a few good low-card angles, actually. His last WWE run in ECW was really well done and could/should have amounted to more than it did, and if you're like me and liked RTC, that was good stuff in its day. He took a lovely Last Ride or two in that run.

Around the same time, Hurricane storylines were usually at the lower end of the card but always good fun.

Oh, and as a final choice, the greatest romance in WWE history - Spike Dudley and Molly Holly.

• Paid Members

On the Stevie and Victoria front, I remember a match between Stevie and Maven - Stevie had Maven in a side headlock, Victoria's at ringside and shouts out "PULL HIS HAIR!". Stevie starts feebly scratching at Maven's head, panics and shouts "HE HAS NO HAIR", loosening the headlock enough for Maven to escape.

I love any self-contained midcard story. "Hey, my chicken suit!", in particular.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Grecian said:

I always enjoyed Matt Hardy vs MVP back in 2007. They even managed to keep it entertaining after MVP's heart problem, shame that Matt's appendix stopped us from having a proper blow-off match until some time afterwards. Even JBL's 'Half man, half amazing, half tag-team champions!' schtick never got old.

I had completely forgot that this feud included a boxing match between Matt Hardy and Evander Holyfield on an episode of SNME until it popped up on Youtube a few weeks back. A bizarre angle to include in a mid-card feud looking back.

I really enjoyed the Jamie Noble/blind Nidia angle back in 2003. I mean, on hindsight it was pretty bloody stupid but at the time I was absolutely gripped by it.

Tajiri blinds Nidia with his green mist - shocking!

Jamie Noble starts taking advantage of her condition to win matches - the cad!

Nidia regains her sight and shows Jamie Noble up - hooray!

I genuinely watched Smackdown just to keep up with this shit. To 15-year-old me this was Breaking Bad level storytelling.

Booker T and Goldust as a tag team was genuinely brilliant. 

One night episode of Heat where the Mean Street Posse had offered to pay the APA to not turn up and forfeit the match. They then went to the APAs office and the APA had already left so the Posse thought they'd got away without paying. APA subsequently find out the Posse have reneged on paying and go out to the ring and absoultely lamp them. Great fun. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

It's mostly mid-card with the odd big star appearing so Planet Stasiak has to count. Just utter stupidity. God, I laughed so hard at him just running into stuff.

Was just coming back to mention this stuff. No idea how long the gimmick lasted, but it was a sure fire smile bringer.

There was another great one involving the Rock, where after Stasiak misses, Rock shoots him one of those patented looks of disgust he'd give back then. Classic. 

Archived