Biggest Name To Never Work WWE

BomberPat

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

I assumed this was a joke I didn't understand, then Googled it and found out its completely true :omg:

It does sound like it could be one of my ultra-funny jokes, to be fair.

Inoki's done a lot of stuff over the years. Quite a few Japanese friends told me about a scandal he was involved in regarding a biofuel/sugarcane ethanol business project in Brazil - he lost his arse on it, and embezzled money out of NJPW to get out of trouble. Seems it was a big deal in Japan at the time, as he was one of the few truly household names in Japan at the time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Inoki's done a lot of stuff over the years. Quite a few Japanese friends told me about a scandal he was involved in regarding a biofuel/sugarcane ethanol business project in Brazil - he lost his arse on it, and embezzled money out of NJPW to get out of trouble. Seems it was a big deal in Japan at the time, as he was one of the few truly household names in Japan at the time.

The way I heard this story was that he was investing embezzled money in the development of a perpetual motion machine. They might be two sides of the same coin, but I much prefer the version where's a complete nutter investing in physically impossible technology.

In the Iraqi hostage situation, he actually promoted a show over there (if General Adan's book is to be believed, Saddam was a big wrestling fan), and was presented with the gift of two solid gold swords by Saddam. Walking out of a hostage situation having successfully agreed their release and with gifts for yourself is negotiating the hell out of a hostage situation.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

In the Iraqi hostage situation, he actually promoted a show over there (if General Adan's book is to be believed, Saddam was a big wrestling fan), and was presented with the gift of two solid gold swords by Saddam. Walking out of a hostage situation having successfully agreed their release and with gifts for yourself is negotiating the hell out of a hostage situation.

Very true. To be fair, he was also a Japanese MP at the time, so had the political clout behind the marketing too.

• Paid Members

Christopher Daniels used to wrestle on Shotgun or Metal or whatever it was called then, before he was a Conquistador. Back when he had hair. Definitely saw him against Taka Michinoku on one of the Saturday morning shows around 1998. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Hayabusa never wrestled for WWE to my knowledge. He did tag with Jinsei Shinzaki in ECW though against Sabu and RVD. 

Yeah, as far as I know that was Hayabusa's only match in the US. Though I'd say that probably disqualifies him on the "never really tried to break the US" grounds, or the Big Daddy Rule. 

9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Daniels was also meant to be the Higher Power according to Bruce Prichard, but Vince took one look at him and said no because he was a shortarse.

Absolutely mental to think they'd bring in some absolute nobody for that spot. What would that have achieved?

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, JNLister said:

0c48a-15478002001414-800.jpg

This is making me think that "The Perpetual Motion Machine" is actually a pretty great nickname for a fast-paced wrestler.

13 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Female wise I'm thinking Manami Toyota or Akira Hokuto. I always thought WWF should have bought Hokuto in to work Alundra Blayze in 1995 instead of Bertha Faye.

Hokuto is a really good one, particularly with her having worked WCW. I'd potentially rule out Toyota on the Big Daddy Rule, as she didn't debut in the US until 2010, relatively late in her career, but I had really hoped she'd be brought in for the first Mae Young Classic just to give her a brief WWE stint to round off her career.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It was apparently down to Bruce liking the "Fallen Angel" gimmick which doesn't make it any less baffling as what the hell was that gimmick even about? It felt like nothing more than a name and some eyeliner from what I saw of it.

This is pretty much what I thought of it.

The only "fallen angel" I've ever heard or read any kind of reference to is Lucifer. If Daniels had done a Sullivan-style diabolist gimmick, might have made sense, heading up a religious/mystical faction and whatnot. But he didn't do anything in-ring or out- to put across anything about what his character actually was.

Like you say, just a name - there are so many indy wrestlers who just pick a name because it sounds cool in their heads, and leave it at that. First case in point that comes to mind: "National Treasure" Nick Aldis.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Christopher Daniels used to wrestle on Shotgun or Metal or whatever it was called then, before he was a Conquistador. Back when he had hair. Definitely saw him against Taka Michinoku on one of the Saturday morning shows around 1998. 

Archived