Bombastic Thurman Bob Sparky Plug Sparkplug Hardcore Holly

Onyx2

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, bbabba said:

He was at a Southside show in Nottingham a few years ago.  I was in the toilet having a piss before the show and Holly walked in in a grey tracksuit.  He obviously needed a shit, but all the cubicles were taken.  Just to be sure, he went up to each one and lightly thumped on the door.  When none opened, he walked off looking a bit perturbed.  That is my abiding Hardcore Holly memory.  

I love daft little anecdotes like this. Now next time I'm watching an old PPV and Hardcore Holly turns up I'll probably have a little chuckle imagining him not being able to have a poo in some English leisure centre. 

Hardcore Holly's a chap I never really felt strongly about either way at the time but looking back it's easy to appreciate him. I discovered wrestling in 2000 so that year is my "golden era" of wrestling and I have fond memories of him messing about with Crash and generally being a tough grizzled old bastard in hardcore matches. His sudden main event spot for a month with Brock Lesnar felt weird but at least it had a solid reason behind it and now, in an age where Jinder Mahal got a main event run, it's easy to buy into Holly fighting for the top belt by comparison. 

He had a fantastic dropkick as has been pointed out but I also think he had a great finisher. The Alabama Slam was simple but hard-hitting and effective and one of those moves that was great to watch because of the impact. Suited him down to a tee. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

He had a fantastic dropkick as has been pointed out but I also think he had a great finisher. The Alabama Slam was simple but hard-hitting and effective and one of those moves that was great to watch because of the impact. Suited him down to a tee. 

The Alabama Slam was a good finisher, but I liked his old Holly-caust Falcon Arrow (although, obviously, not the actual name).

• Paid Members

I was privileged enough to see Hardcore wrestle D'Lo on a PCW Saturday afternoon hangover show a few years back and it was a sheer delight to see up close and personal a pair of ex WWF lads who peaked at the same time having a bit of a "just for laughs" basics match in a small intimate setting, clearly having a great time working each other again in front of a crowd that for their match didn't give a fuck about workrate, were just happy to see two blokes that used to be big stars doing their thing. In the subsequent Q&A Bob came across as a nice guy too.

He shouldn't have been positioned as a main event world title challenger on a Big 5 ppv after a decade of midcarding and arguably he shouldnt have put the first loss on Punk when the latter was on a hot run in ECW, but he was a good hand and an entertaining guy, and I'm sure still is.

• Awards Moderator

@Onyx2 Is the title of this thread supposed to fit the melody of Supercalafragilisticexpialidocious?

”Bombastic Thurman Bob Sparky Plug Sparkplug Hardcore Holly,

Later joined by cousins Crash and then by Mighty Molly,

If you put him over then he’ll appear quite jolly,

Bombastic Thurman Bob Sparky Plug Sparkplug Hardcore Holly!

um alabamaslamma umdiddle-aye...”

Best slap in wrestling, too. You can call a worked sound on this one, but I wouldn't bother. It definitely wasn't a work on the original clip I was trying to find, which was him slapping Crash Holly after Crash tries a "we should work together!" gambit prior to one of those hardcore open invitational type deals. Backlash 2000, I think it was. 

Hardcore Holly's slaps are terrifying. 

Archived