Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This feels like the first year in a long time that they didn't air the traditional, "By the Numbers," video on TV. They just quietly released it on YouTube.

It's a good'un though. I had no idea so many record were broken at the Greatest Royal Rumble.

Yeah the greatest Royal Rumble really has screwed up a lot of the Rumble lists/Stats and I'd rather they didn't include those in these things

I think non canon is best way to describe it,  is the Never Say Never Again of the WWE Universe.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I've never been that happy about including that 40 man Rumble because it buggers up the stats. Not having this shit involved too.

And Shawn Michaels never un-retired, Shane McMahon was never best in the world. At anything.

Probably get flamed for this but i think they should have one year where the winner doesn't get the WM shot. they have 2 PPV's between rumble and mania to sort out the title matches or even have the MITB declare straight away that they are having the WM pay off. This would mean that for once it really would be a "anyone can win" situation and not just the usual suspects.

Imagine if Santino had actually won on the year he came 2nd? As soon as it was down to 2 you knew Del Rio was going to win or in other years where its been obvious who was winning because "the plan" then for one year it would be great to just open it up for all. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

they have 2 PPV's between rumble and mania to sort out the title matches or even have the MITB declare straight away that they are having the WM pay off.

Those PPVs need to be preserved to determine the champions going into Mania and to sort out who's challenging for the other title at Mania. I think they're getting the balance right at the moment in that last year the Rumble and Chamber both seemed massive and only really Fast Lane seemed a bit "paint by numbers" (nobody thought Ziggler was winning, come on) - in theory the Rumble should stand out as an achievement without a title shot but the reason it's such a source of excitement is because it shapes Mania and all the guesswork about what the show's going to look like. As "Oooh, you beat 29 guys in an overblown battle royal" I don't think it would stay special without the title shot, just as regular battle royals stopped being interesting once the Rumble itself came about. Look at King of the Ring, which started off interesting but by the end of the PPV run needed a title shot added to make it seem like it meant anything and a year later wasn't deemed strong enough to carry a PPV by itself. I think they nailed the Rumble concept at 30 men, winner gets the title shot.

What they really could do with to make it a bigger deal is to actually enforce that the winner's title shot goes on last, since 8 out of the last 10 Rumble winners where they have been two World titles, have not closed the show. Winning the Rumble could be so much bigger if it actually was "challenges in THE MAIN EVENT" of WrestleMania and not "make one of the title matches we want, probably not the one which goes on last, which is the bigger match and "doesnt need" (ugh) the Rumble winner to be in it to make it a big deal."

49 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Probably get flamed for this but i think they should have one year where the winner doesn't get the WM shot. they have 2 PPV's between rumble and mania to sort out the title matches or even have the MITB declare straight away that they are having the WM pay off. This would mean that for once it really would be a "anyone can win" situation and not just the usual suspects.

Imagine if Santino had actually won on the year he came 2nd? As soon as it was down to 2 you knew Del Rio was going to win or in other years where its been obvious who was winning because "the plan" then for one year it would be great to just open it up for all. 

I wonder if it'd fly, for one year, give the win to a 'shock' outsider - they could, in they wanted, transition the title shot opportunity at one of the pay per views before 'Mania?

or would that cheapen the entire royal rumble tradition?

• Awards Moderator

If they really wanted to shake up the format, which they probably shouldn't, they should arrange it so that towards the end of the match, numbers 28 and 29 are the only two left, but they eliminate each other, leaving the ring empty and meaning that whoever enters number 30 automatically wins without even having to do anything.

It would be terrible but I'd happily see them try it if they have to do a 100-man Rumble at the next Saudi show.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Ricc1PW said:

'shock' outsider

12 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

2008 when Cena won it

Not sure that's the level of "shock" he's thinking.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Did you think Cena was going to win it that year?

@Ricc1PW Please clarify you meant "shock outsider" as in "no fucking chance does this guy win" rather than an established main eventer - announced as entering or not......

Archived